Front Port problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Tried using front port in serial mode with Proscan 7.1 It worked ok so I went to bed with it running. When I got up the scanner had reverted to Storage Mode and PS 7.1 showed No Response. Front Port doesn't seem to want to stay in serial Mode.:mad:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Sounds like something caused the scanner to reboot. Regardless, this is known and has been discussed. USB protocol for comms is not finalized nor supported at this time. However, rear serial port will work (with USB adapter if your PC mfr cheaped out and only provided USB).

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Sounds like something caused the scanner to reboot. Regardless, this is known and has been discussed. USB protocol for comms is not finalized nor supported at this time. However, rear serial port will work (with USB adapter if your PC mfr cheaped out and only provided USB).

After I had the Micro SD card issue and had to replace it with a new one the front port now works fine and doesn't go back to USB MASS STORAGE. IMHO if the SD card becomes unstable it causes the scanner to revert to MASS Storage. Just my 2 cents worth.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Back before I went to using the rear port for serial "stuff", there was no rhyme or reason to the front port switching from Serial to Mass Storage. Some times it could go days without doing so and other times it would do it minutes apart.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Back before I went to using the rear port for serial "stuff", there was no rhyme or reason to the front port switching from Serial to Mass Storage. Some times it could go days without doing so and other times it would do it minutes apart.

It doesn't matter anyway as I HATE the sound via the headphone jack over the FEED (Static and noisy) BCD 996XT is much better for the feed. BCD 536 HP goes back in the truck after I get a voltage regulator to stop it crashing when I start the truck.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It doesn't matter anyway as I HATE the sound via the headphone jack over the FEED (Static and noisy) BCD 996XT is much better for the feed. BCD 536 HP goes back in the truck after I get a voltage regulator to stop it crashing when I start the truck.

Is the scanner you have part of the "bum headphone jack" deal and have you had it fixed? I noticed significant white noise reduction after my scanner went through the "process".

I've had a 536 in my truck for going on three months. It is on an ignition circuit for power and I'm not shutting it down with the volume knob. I'm guessing my truck starts (and thus the scanner) probably four times a day, conservatively.

Knocking on all the wood I can find, I have not yet experienced any type of "crash". But I also have two spare SD cards in the glove box just in case. I replaced the factory SD card with a SanDisk 16GB card.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
BCD 536 HP

Is the scanner you have part of the "bum headphone jack" deal and have you had it fixed? I noticed significant white noise reduction after my scanner went through the "process".

I've had a 536 in my truck for going on three months. It is on an ignition circuit for power and I'm not shutting it down with the volume knob. I'm guessing my truck starts (and thus the scanner) probably four times a day, conservatively.

Knocking on all the wood I can find, I have not yet experienced any type of "crash". But I also have two spare SD cards in the glove box just in case. I replaced the factory SD card with a SanDisk 16GB card.

LOL Don't get me started on the headphone jack issue. I sent a 536 back for that, got it back and within 24 hours I had no audio at all. Traded it in for another 536 which was supposed to have already had the headphone jack repair completed. It does have a 3 year warranty sticker on it. Still wish it had a LINE OUT jack.

Already fried one Micro SD card and had to pull one out of my Cell Phone to get the scanner working. The original SD Card couldn't be read on a computer so it couldn't be formatted. (Stick it in a card reader and it acted like it wasn't there) Scanner just said SD Card error. Now I got 3 Micro SD cards sitting here just in case.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
LOL Don't get me started on the headphone jack issue. I sent a 536 back for that, got it back and within 24 hours I had no audio at all. Traded it in for another 536 which was supposed to have already had the headphone jack repair completed. It does have a 3 year warranty sticker on it. Still wish it had a LINE OUT jack.

Already fried one Micro SD card and had to pull one out of my Cell Phone to get the scanner working. The original SD Card couldn't be read on a computer so it couldn't be formatted. (Stick it in a card reader and it acted like it wasn't there) Scanner just said SD Card error. Now I got 3 Micro SD cards sitting here just in case.

I felt so much relief and stress reduction when I finally just sold both of my BCD536HP radios. With the issues with the headphone jack and the external and internal speaker issues that still exists it was just not worth it at this point. Firmware issues are not going to fix the poor design and the mess ups from the factory. Also, no app at this point and features that show up on the radio menu that do not work.

Just went back to my BCD996XT radio and have no issues. re-couped most of my money except for about a hundred bucks due to fees. Just going to sit on the side lines for a long period of time at this point to see what newer models will be coming out with Uniden and Whistler in the future.

I learned a lot of lessons these past few months about these new radios. Just don't jump out of the gate just to have one. The quality control on these BCD536HP were horrible. Uniden just wanted to roll out these radios no matter what the problems were. That puts a horrible taste in the consumers mouth and I am not the only one that has mentioned these issues with these radios. I can go on and on about this model but whats the point. I just want to make sure that people are aware before they drop 600 bucks for one of these radios.

Now with the BCD436HP I am keeping that radio because there are no design flaws that I have ever noticed so far. It is a great radio.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
"Uniden just wanted to roll out these radios no matter what the problems were."

Well, "calling it like I see it". . .

Us consumers got our fingerprints on the knife too. Long before the new scanners were rolled out, we pestered the heck out of Uniden to get something new in our hands. And most of us who are reasonably astute understood the risks associated with new products.

I had, and still have, faith in Uniden that they would appropriately address issues should any arise. Yeah, I'm a little disappointed that some features are slow in coming, but patience has its rewards.

I don't think Uniden turned a blind eye and put knowingly bad product on the market. Recalls do adversely affect their bottom line and with competition on the horizon, that can have a negative impact on their market share.

se

SAME FOR ME.

Hello All.

I suspect that I too am having the same problem with my BCD536HP. I use one of the front end USB ports on my Windows 7 desktop computer and since I am in a wheelchair and I have my printer connected to the single rear end port I wont be changing ports! Unless I missed it UNIDEN please get this issue fixed so that I can use ARC536HPPRO full version.

Thanks Sheldon.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello All.

I suspect that I too am having the same problem with my BCD536HP. I use one of the front end USB ports on my Windows 7 desktop computer and since I am in a wheelchair and I have my printer connected to the single rear end port I wont be changing ports! Unless I missed it UNIDEN please get this issue fixed so that I can use ARC536HPPRO full version.

Thanks Sheldon.
You're confusing the 'front port' and 'rear port' issues on the scanner itself with the USB ports on your pc. Not the same thing.

What the OP is referring to is using the USB cable, in the front port of the scanner, but selecting "." (No) to connect in Serial mode, instead "E" (Yes) for the Mass Storage mode used for database and programming updates. His scanner is apparently not remaining in Serial mode, which affects the ability to use the logging software.

The rear port of the scanner, which is used only for Serial mode, is a standard DB9 com port. If your pc (laptop or desktop) does not have a true Serial port (labeled as "Com 1", usually), then you'd need a USB to Serial converter cable, and probably a short Female to Female cable to connect it to the scanner. There are several listed on this page in the Wiki. You can connect the converter cable to whichever USB port on your PC you choose.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Echoing the above, with one addition - you'll need a null modem adapter in the cabling.

Here's how I have my 536 cabled to my computer, so I can use ARC 536 Pro. From a computer's USB port to the scanner:

1. Plugable USB to Serial Adapter (from Amazon and there is a link to it on the above post).
2. Null Modem Adapter (from Radio Shack).
3. Gender changer (so the pins match, from Radio Shack).
4. 6' Serial Cable (had one laying around from the old computer days).
5. Connected to the rear port of the scanner (the one a GPS device would connect to). Rear port of scanner set to 115200.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Echoing the above, with one addition - you'll need a null modem adapter in the cabling.

Here's how I have my 536 cabled to my computer, so I can use ARC 536 Pro. From a computer's USB port to the scanner:

1. Plugable USB to Serial Adapter (from Amazon and there is a link to it on the above post).
2. Null Modem Adapter (from Radio Shack).
3. Gender changer (so the pins match, from Radio Shack).
4. 6' Serial Cable (had one laying around from the old computer days).
5. Connected to the rear port of the scanner (the one a GPS device would connect to). Rear port of scanner set to 115200.
Yep, forgot the null modem.

Here's a null modem cable on Monoprice, or on Radio Shack.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Please forget the using the front port on the 536HP for virtual control or logging on with ARC536PRO.
I was one of those initially involved in this front port problem with the 536HP back in about March.
Went the same route I have done with my 996XT, that is, using the rear port with a null modem cable and serial adapter. None of us originally thought this was possible with the 536HP until UPMan wrote somewhere that the rear port on the 536HP can be used, just like on the 996XT, with a recommended baud rate of 115,200. Only in the 536HP, you go to "Set your location," Set up GPS," Set serial port."
Since running my 536HPs with this set up, no problems over the last several months usuing ARC536PRO VC and logging. In fact, I have two 536HPs, rear port set-up with null-modem cable and serial adapter, for both units, and run two instances of ARC536PRO without any problems on same Windows 7 machine.
This set-up is of course good for a base station. If you want to use GPS while mobile, then you need that rear port.
Steve AA6IO

jim202

I don't want to highjack this thread and get yelled at, but your power should not dip enough to bomb your scanner when you start your vehicle. I would take a volt meter and see if the feed doesn't go away all together with the ignition key. If it stays up, then I would look at the age of the vehicle battery. if it's over three years old, just replace the vehicle battery.

The noise off the headphone jack may be due to how your using it or a bad circuit design that passes too much of the high frequencies. Should be easy to resolve by a very slight mod to the audio circuitry.

jim202

The truck is not even 6 months old from the dealer

Many of the new vehicles drop the power to the cigaret lighter socket when you move the ignition switch to the start position. Comes back once you release the key to the normal run position. That was why I said to measure it with a voltmeter.

You didn't say how you had the power wired to the scanner. So I am just guessing at your problem.

se

Hi.

Ok so all I need is the USB cable that I had UNIDEN send me in the mail (That was another issue I had when I bought my BCD536HP) in May) to be able to use the virtual control of ARC536PRO? Or do I need a second cable? I have the proper drivers installed.

Sheldon.

lost_in_maine

Hi.

Ok so all I need is the USB cable that I had UNIDEN send me in the mail (That was another issue I had when I bought my BCD536HP) in May) to be able to use the virtual control of ARC536PRO? Or do I need a second cable? I have the proper drivers installed.

Sheldon.
I ordered this....and used the rear port....working fine now...

Amazon.com: StarTech.com 1 Port USB to Null Modem RS232 DB9 Serial DCE Adapter Cable with FTDI, Black (ICUSB232FTN ): Computers & Accessories

Status
Not open for further replies.