• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FRS and Summer Break

Whats your favorite FRS brand radio?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

k9rzz

We don't get much around here, but listen someplace like the lakefront in Chicago, near the parks. WOW! Jam city.

RadioPatriots

Yep, around every break. If people were smart, and manufacturers still made them, they would buy their kids the 14 channel FRS only radios. I bought a couple of old Motorolas for my step daughter and her daughter. I know you can hear them clearly at my house, but not for more than a few blocks. The little kids get on and talk nonsense but they don't interfere very far. Also, I turned off all the call button sounds. That just irritates the hell out of me when a retard of any age likes to make noise.

With all the FRS clutter these days, you're almost better going back to CB frequencies. A small handheld ... so few people use it anymore. Another viable alternative is the 'TriSquare eXRSs' radios.

Attachments

• inhandCB.jpg
    inhandCB.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 395

jhooten

TriSquare went out of business just after I bought my first set and decided it was a good alternative to FRS. Once is a great while I can find a set collecting dust on a store shelf. The other thing I have gone to is the direct talk function on old nextel phones.

RadioPatriots

Good call on the Nextel phones. Yeah I picked up four of the TriSquare Radios back in '08. Too bad they didn't/couldn't keep going and expand on their low-cost solution. Still see some for sale on eBay from time to time. The DSP algorithm for voice encoding/compression leaves a little something to be desired, but hey they work, are (were) inexpensive, and are relatively private.

I'd of suggested the Moto DTR line of FHSS radios but at around $250 a pop, minimum, it's a stretch. And unfortunately (bad call on Motorola's part) you cannot change the hopping sequence of the channels unless you hack the radio. Anyone with the same model Moto can hear/interfere on your channel. So at three times the price, they're not as private as the TriSquares.

KD8DVR

We've got 4 of the TriSquares. Work wonders on cruise ships and inside hotels. Was all over Magic Kingdom.. never lost a word. They remain our primary mode of family communication. If they ever fail, it will be a sad day. Hopefully someone else fills the void someday. The Motos are far too cost prohibitive; but at least there is an option, should we go that route.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hello I wanted to know if people notice that the FRS has a ton load of kids on it in the summer because of their break. Does anybody else notice this?

This is OLD news tony, this happens every year when school lets out for the season.

n9zas

ecps92

Sometimes its the little things that keep the blood flowing
Each to their own, as many of us know there are different aspects to the hobby

This is OLD news tony, this happens every year when school lets out for the season.

n9zas

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
MTS, there us plenty of activity on gmrs repeaters in GA. The six hundred machine us busy in my area. They like to slam hams.

I've never understood this. GMRS is the most limited, structured personal radio service. Limited to power, antenna height, equipment one can legally use, and even the distance you can lawfully communicate- yet there are some elitists who think it is SO cool they can use a repeater on a hill to talk.

With ham radio, we can legally run up to 1.5Kw on dozens of modes (including digital voice, which you CANNOT use on GMRS), interconnected repeaters (again, not permitted by current rules), pretty much use any equipment you wish (is the horse dead yet? Can't do that on GMRS) even stuff you build yourself, and yet I've heard those guys your refer to and just laugh. Especially since a few also have ham tickets.

I finally got around to getting my General after 26 years as a tech, and 5 prior as a Novice. Been playing on 20m and 10m loading up a rain gutter. I kid you not. Talked to a ham in CA yesterday off that. Plan on having my Extra before the summer is over.

Other than the pin dropping on VHF/UHF around here, HF is bustling with activity. Get bored? Thought I'd never say this: go lower on the dial!

RadioPatriots

We've got 4 of the TriSquares. Work wonders on cruise ships and inside hotels. Was all over Magic Kingdom.. never lost a word. They remain our primary mode of family communication. If they ever fail, it will be a sad day. Hopefully someone else fills the void someday. The Motos are far too cost prohibitive; but at least there is an option, should we go that route.

I've seen them going on eBay for around $150 a pair. Some are still in the plastic, some used but with a few extras, such as here:

Trisquare TSX300 Grab-N-Go Two Way Radio Kit

At that price point, and for the privacy and non-interference you get, it may still be worth it. And not to seem like I'm theorizing in "conspiratorial" matters, but I do have my suspicions as to why these great little radios just seemed to up and vanish. They always work well for me, even when doing a head-to-head review with the Moto DTR 410s. I've gotten over 1 mile with them Line of Sight. If someone doesn't fill the void it will be a curious thing indeed.

SCPD

QRT
I've seen law enf utilize frs and murs allot for close comms and schools for side chat nothing sensitive. Schools mostly custodians and staff basic day functions.

sandiegosand

One time on channel 16 I heard the WORST language/conversation I had heard in a long time (18 year olds). I couldn't resist, so I got my gmrs out of my truck... I hit the "annoy button"... immediately a voice that says "OHH! whats that! the company must have tapped the walkie-talkies, all radios off now!". I guess they must have thought that would reset the "tap"... It gave me an idea... A minute later when they got back on. I told them I was from the FCC (something they had never dreamed of existed) and they would have to stop talking so bad cause it was illegal.

This shook them up considerably. The leader then said "everyone go to channel 17 NOW!"... I saw through it... When I came on channel 17 and announced my presence, they were again confounded. I told them that they needed a license to operate, told them which channels were legal to use, and told them they shouldn't cuss with the caliber that they had been.

They figured out a way to trick me. The leader says "I will text everyone the channel". He does so... It took my scanner less than a second to figure out that they were on channel 21 (I forgot the pl) They started talking about the dirtiest subjects again.

I pop back in. The go NUTS!.. I obviously must be from the government because how else could I figure out the channel?! I told them I was triangulating their position.

This went on like this for almost an hour and a half before I gat bored. I eventually did get them on channel 14 though.

One time on channel 16 I heard the WORST language/conversation I had heard in a long time (18 year olds). I couldn't resist, so I got my gmrs out of my truck... I hit the "annoy button"... immediately a voice that says "OHH! whats that! the company must have tapped the walkie-talkies, all radios off now!". I guess they must have thought that would reset the "tap"... It gave me an idea... A minute later when they got back on. I told them I was from the FCC (something they had never dreamed of existed) and they would have to stop talking so bad cause it was illegal.

This shook them up considerably. The leader then said "everyone go to channel 17 NOW!"... I saw through it... When I came on channel 17 and announced my presence, they were again confounded. I told them that they needed a license to operate, told them which channels were legal to use, and told them they shouldn't cuss with the caliber that they had been.

They figured out a way to trick me. The leader says "I will text everyone the channel". He does so... It took my scanner less than a second to figure out that they were on channel 21 (I forgot the pl) They started talking about the dirtiest subjects again.

I pop back in. The go NUTS!.. I obviously must be from the government because how else could I figure out the channel?! I told them I was triangulating their position.

This went on like this for almost an hour and a half before I gat bored. I eventually did get them on channel 14 though.

Now that is funny!!! :lol::lol:

KB7MIB

LOL

Yea, one time I heard a surveillance operation using GMRS simplex. Not FRS 1-14. GMRS, although I don't recall exactly which channel.
I don't know if they were law enforcement or private investigators, but they were folllowing some guy in a vehicle. I was out running errands at the time, and I was basically right in the middle of their operation, until the person being followed pulled into a grocery store parking lot, followed by those conducting the surveillance, and I kept going.
I was listening on a scanner, not a GMRS radio, so no, I didn't break in.

As for anything else, there's a care home or two within about 3/4 of a mile that have used FRS for housekeeeping and the like. I haven't done much listening in awhile, so I don't know exactly how much or what kind of useage there is in my neighborhood.

WPXJ598

mikepdx

One time on channel 16 I heard the WORST language/conversation I had heard in a long time (18 year olds).
I couldn't resist, so I got my gmrs out of my truck...

I just couldn't resist either.

To clarify, you copy unidentified stations on GMRS using profanity.
You unlawfully contact these unidentified stations posing as a Federal Agency.
You then advise them of the legalities of operation...

As Ricky Ricardo would say shaking his head... Ay! Ay! Ay!

Status
Not open for further replies.