FRS frequency reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrotumola

Ever since my truck was broken into a month ago, I decided to start monitoring FRS/GMRS/MURS channels. When I was in LE, I remembered seeing an intel bulletin that stated that several known burglars were coordinating their activities with cohorts and getaway drivers by using these radios.

It only took several days before I found suspect traffic. One sunday morning around 3 AM, I began hearing a conversation between 2 punks. They were talking crap and were challenging each other. It became apparent that they were mobile. They would come up to stop lights and challenge each other to races. Shortly there after, I heard one say to the other, "Hey, you don't need to wreck it already, you just stole it." They continue to talk crap back and forth as their signal wavers. One evidently smoked the other one and left him behind by some distance. He then told the guy to turn on 410. The intersection he was at was nearly 3 miles from me. I then could no longer hear them.

About a 30 minutes later, they were back in range. The one guy who had the slower car was 'shopping' he was tired of getting beat by his friend. One said to the other, "There aint nothing worth a sh*t on this street." the other replied.. "Come over heeere, there's a 350Z in the house!" The freq went silent and nothing more was said on the radio for an hour. I then fell alseep.

I havent heard anything else suspect since.

Most FRS comms are mundane. Little kids singing, some cursing; Mommies or Daddies talking to their kids; Flea market operations and construction crews. I can even hear resident advisors talking to each other about dorm activities.

Another interesting comm I have been hearing from the southside of San Antonio, are some sort of airport ops on 462.5625. Although I am about 6 miles from Kelly Citybase and 4 miles from Stinson, you would think that what I am hearing is either one of those. It is not. I am hearing 'gate' traffic, ticket counter traffic, talk of courasel operations, baggage recovery and aircraft approaching the terminal from the tarmac. I have heard reference to AirTran and Delta. Stinson is without ATC from 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM and their commercial flights are of the commuter plane type and certainly are not AirTran nor Delta.

Now we have all seen FRS advertisements for 8 mile range etc. on some models, and we all know this is absolute BS, unless you are on top of the Grand Canyon and talking to hikers down river. I am at least 19 miles from San Antonio International!

Reception is always in the middle of the night and has been almost daily for several weeks.

I am using a Tram Discone at 40' and a Scantenna ST-2 at 34' feeding LMR400.
I am thinking that these Airport operations are using 4 watt handhelds on FRS freqs. And even being able to hear that from so far away is impressive (without stacked vertical UHF yagis)

Can anyone else hear them?

Last edited:

KC0QNB

You need to log and record this stuff, you might be a hero someday. But I have to say using frs/gmrs radios to coordinate illegal activity is not to smart, I guess the figured out the private line feature, and guessed no one could monitor them. But then the smart people have jobs and work for their toys.

KF4ZTO

There is plently of illegal (and legal) people using FRS thinking they cant be heard. Having a decent antenna somewhat high up I can hear all sorts of stuff in Richmond, VA. Every time I visit a city I put my service search on...and always hear some interesting stuff on FRS.

Status
Not open for further replies.