FRS/GMRS being used by business's!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
So was in a Beall's store in Jupiter the other day with the wife and noticed there using FRS radios for there communication needs. Spotted them right off the bat. Infamous yellow & black exterior and telltale beeps when you key off. Now I'm not one to blow them in but I didn't think business were legally allowed to use the FRS/GMRS band. What I'm more concerned with is I didn't have them in the scanner when I monitored the Palm Beach Outlet Mall. I wonder how many stores are taking the "cheap" way out and what frequencies I may be missing. I'll be sure to add them into my scanner for upcoming outings at the various malls.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
The topic has been discussed ad nausem in the FRS forum. Businesses can use FRS.
GMRS still requires a license to the individuals. (Unless grandfathered from a long time ago).

mciupa

Database Admin
You are right about putting them in the scanner. With all the condo construction going on here, I hear those frequencies being used for crane operations, trades people etc.. in the downtown core.

At home, it's kids playing around (not mine :) ) or even people communicating car to car on the expressway!

Last edited:

nd5y

FRS radios aren't the only ones that make various sound effects or come in yellow or other colors.
There is no FCC rule prohibiting businesses from using FRS.
If a business uses GMRS then they must have a grandfathered GMRS site license or all employees must have their own GMRS licenses.
Many stores and businesses use low end commercial radios that look like FRS/GMRS radios but operated on business frequencies.
Many companies (including Beall's) have nationwide licenses on four common frequencies of 467.85, 467.875, 467.9 and 467.925.
WQLB818 (BEALL'S DEPARTMENT STORES, INC.) FCC Callsign Details
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/US-Nationwide_Businesses-Retail

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
Yeah they could be using there licensed frequencies. I will be finding out soon enough and will definitely report my findings. I left the FRS/GMRS frequencies out of the scanner cause I didn't want to hear mom and dads talking to there kids but I'll have to put up with it. No biggie.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
left the FRS/GMRS frequencies out of the scanner cause I didn't want to hear mom and dads talking to there kids but I'll have to put up with it. No biggie.

I left them out for the same reason. Also, I'm not nosy enough to want to know what they're saying at WalMart, the other stores or the construction sites.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yeah they could be using there licensed frequencies. I will be finding out soon enough and will definitely report my findings. I left the FRS/GMRS frequencies out of the scanner cause I didn't want to hear mom and dads talking to there kids but I'll have to put up with it. No biggie.

As already discussed, its perfectly legal for businesses to use Frs, and even though they can use Gmrs for business use IF they have grandfathered licenses, what many forget is that when the license expires, they need to apply for a commercial license at that point, Or use Frs from that point on. Businesses are Only allowed to use Gmrs in their Current license term. Once that expires, the said business are no longer Allowed to use Gmrs. In 2016 nationwide, I think there's Very FEW still legally grandfathered businesses any longer. I have the 8 Gmrs pairs programmed in my scanner, just so I can search new tones during band enhancements, but Not Frs due to kiddie chatter. 73, n9zas

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
As already discussed, its perfectly legal for businesses to use Frs, and even though they can use Gmrs for business use IF they have grandfathered licenses, what many forget is that when the license expires, they need to apply for a commercial license at that point, Or use Frs from that point on. Businesses are Only allowed to use Gmrs in their Current license term.

We've got a couple of grandfathered GMRS licenses at work that have been getting renewed every 5 years without issue. Most recent one was renewed back in June of this year: KAE1177

I haven't seen anything from the FCC that suggests they are going to stop renewing grandfathered GMRS licenses. If there's something out there I haven't seen, I'd love to know about it.

What you can't change is the license parameters. Adding more radios that the license shows, etc. are all an issue, but renewing a valid GMRS license doesn't appear to be one of them.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
I just didn't think businesses would be using them. Boy what have I been missing. Now see my love for most things radio have me finding all the business frequencies. I gotta know what frequencies Walmart is using!!! I spend the time to monitor all different stores (Kohls,Walmart,etc)!!!!! Even saw the Ashley Furniture/City Furniture people wearing headsets when I was buying furniture so now I gotta get those frequencies!!! Not so much to listen to myself but to know what they are and post em on RadioReference for anyone who's interested. Call it OCD, call it whatever, I call it loving radios!!!!!

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
I just didn't think businesses would be using them. Boy what have I been missing. Now see my love for most things radio have me finding all the business frequencies. I gotta know what frequencies Walmart is using!!! I spend the time to monitor all different stores (Kohls,Walmart,etc)!!!!! Even saw the Ashley Furniture/City Furniture people wearing headsets when I was buying furniture so now I gotta get those frequencies!!! Not so much to listen to myself but to know what they are and post em on RadioReference for anyone who's interested. Call it OCD, call it whatever, I call it loving radios!!!!!

Walmart uses MURS, or what some call the VHF FRS channels. These are unlicensed as well in Part 95 of the rules.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
Walmart uses MURS, or what some call the VHF FRS channels. These are unlicensed as well in Part 95 of the rules.

I found many licenses for Walmart. If I remember correctly that have one call sign for each state or something to that effect. When I found frequencies used by various stores I always look up the call sign to so it can be posted along with the frequency. Walmart and Sams Club always use VHF Hi usually 154.540, 154.570 or 154.600. All the frequencies listed for the Palm Beach Outlet Mall were ones I submitted and the call signs with them are licenses.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

I can't imagine places like that would make for interesting monitoring.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Interesting monitoring

There can be some very interesting conversations, and the users are clueless that the signal can go a long way. I live almost 2 miles from Sam's Club and can often hear them.

ecps92

Interesting Monitoring is usually determined by the Monitor.

Just like in Amateur, there is FM, DMR, P25, digital data modes, CW, HF.... etc etc

In Scanning there are those who listen to PD/FD/EMS, others into Air, MilAir, Federal, Maritime etc

The Hobby is what you make of it
I can't imagine places like that would make for interesting monitoring.

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
I agree that different folks listen to different things, Like one said, I'm into all tings radio, so at times I may listen to most anything. Business channels can get boring, but the search for them is fun. My personal thing is almost anything on low band. Its what I started listening to on a tunable receiver 50 years ago when I was in school and still love to look for the few stations still there.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
I agree that different folks listen to different things, Like one said, I'm into all tings radio, so at times I may listen to most anything. Business channels can get boring, but the search for them is fun. My personal thing is almost anything on low band. Its what I started listening to on a tunable receiver 50 years ago when I was in school and still love to look for the few stations still there.

I second that. Radio is what you make of it. I rarely sit and listen to the frequencies I find but its so much fun to find them. Between finding the frequency and then getting the tone if there is one and so on and so forth. And then to share it with people on RadioReference is fulfilling!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.