• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FRS/GMRS channel assignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highpockets57

I'm a HAM and a Block Captain for our neighborhood association. During some Training (CERT) there was some discussion of possibily assigning some of the FRS freqs to a "consistant" use (1 for Emerg, 2 CERT members, 8 community members with radios etc.). This is not a part of the FCC regs just local policy. We also found out that some of the LEO's (Law Enforcment Officer's) monitor channel 1 on the FRS radios. If you have a community group this might be a consideration for the GMRS freqs also.
Mouth of the Mid-South

SCPD

QRT
channels 1-7 and 15-22 require a GMRS license,channels 8-14 are license free for frs for use by anyone,a license is needed for the rest,CERT,Police as a organization can't be licensed, the FCC states a a GMRS license is only for individuals and their family.In general each family needs a license for GMRS.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Also, FWIW, because anyone can get on any channel and use it, you can't expect to have reliable, group member only communications. Not that you can't designate specific channels, just that you can't make anyone (jammers and jerks alike) get off your "channel".

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
channels 1-7 and 15-22 require a GMRS license,channels 8-14 are license free for frs for use by anyone,a license is needed for the rest,CERT,Police as a organization can't be licensed, the FCC states a a GMRS license is only for individuals and their family.In general each family needs a license for GMRS.

Part of this statement is correct about channels 1-7 you do need a GMRS license on the first 7 channels if you are doing more then 500mw, but if its 500mw or less then you don't.

ecps92

Partially correct.
IF it's an FRS Only Radio the channels are different.

Consult your owners manual first to determine the correct channel information as each make/model can vary

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Partially correct.
IF it's an FRS Only Radio the channels are different.

Consult your owners manual first to determine the correct channel information as each make/model can vary

I'm not even sure they still mfg the FRS only talkies,lol! They just had to screw up by allowing GMRS to be in the list, while knowing full well that the general public would throw the package,owners manual ...and the disclaimer explaining the license process in the garbage!! :(
You gotta love the vast wisdom of the fcc ! (not)
Ok, sorry. My rant mode is off now.

n9zas

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I'm not even sure they still mfg the FRS only talkies,lol! They just had to screw up by allowing GMRS to be in the list, while knowing full well that the general public would throw the package,owners manual ...and the disclaimer explaining the license process in the garbage!! :(
You gotta love the vast wisdom of the fcc ! (not)
Ok, sorry. My rant mode is off now.

n9zas

RadioShack now sells Motorola bubble packs that allow you to access repeaters now I believe its the Motorola MS350R.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
RadioShack now sells Motorola bubble packs that allow you to access repeaters now I believe its the Motorola MS350R.

True, I have a old moto T7200 that allows for repeater access as well but only with pl but no dpl tones.
When FRS was first introduced to the public it was in the form of 14 channels, frs 1-7 & 8-14.
Some with pl option and none I'm aware of had the dpl or NOAA weather option.
I also have a early coleman frs 14ch. that even had the charging contacts for a drop in charger, but never found a drop in charger for it.

n9zas

KJ4ZIN

As far as the channel assignment, it sounds logical enough. Might have to consider range factors. As far as the GMRS license, you could have GMRS licensees be some sort of a base relay if you are thinking of using the GMRS channels. It would require that the members get a GMRS license. Let me know if you need more advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.