Frs/gmrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Jerry_

Don't know where else to put this, but I've seen some installs on this site where people use motorola radios for frs/gmrs (like spectras, maxtracs, so on...). I also know that the limit for frs is like 4 watts. Is it not that much of a big deal if you transmit 40 watts or so on frs frequencies? Or is there a mod people use to lower the output?

Don_Burke

_Jerry_ said:
Don't know where else to put this, but I've seen some installs on this site where people use motorola radios for frs/gmrs (like spectras, maxtracs, so on...). I also know that the limit for frs is like 4 watts. Is it not that much of a big deal if you transmit 40 watts or so on frs frequencies? Or is there a mod people use to lower the output?
They are using the channels that are shared by FRS and GMRS and operating under the GMRS rules. Using mobile radios for FRS would be against the rules.

Many UHF radios can be programmed for lower power on a given channel.

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
GMRS channels are limited to 50 watts when licensed. I believe, so don't quote me on it, FRS 1 - 7 (the shared channels) are also limited to 50 watts if you are licensed. FRS 8 - 14 anything above .5 watt is not allowed.

n8emr

gatekeep said:
GMRS channels are limited to 50 watts when licensed. I believe, so don't quote me on it, FRS 1 - 7 (the shared channels) are also limited to 50 watts if you are licensed. FRS 8 - 14 anything above .5 watt is not allowed.

Not quite right.

GMRS has 7 channels that max power is 5 watts, These channels are also shared with FRS.
GMRS has 8 channels or simplex or repeaters that have a max of 50 watts.
GMRS also has some 10watt limitiation in special use systems that dont affect most people.
GMRS radio must be type accepted for GMRS use.

FRS has 14 channels with a max power of 1/2 watt with FRS certified radios.

You cant legally use a commercial Motorola radio on FRS, but you can use it on GMRS channels with a GMRS license.

Status
Not open for further replies.