Frs Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

landonjensen

I really dont know if this is possible, but can a frs radio pick up say a fire depts freqs? I have my FRS RAdio on right now, and i could have sworn that i heard a fire depts dispatch come across the radio. Is that possible????

drew6553

or if someone had a VOX capable FRS radio next to a scanner using it so they wouldnt have to always be by the radio

cristisphoto

Possible Bleed over....
Some fire and PD frequencies in smaller towsn still use conventional
and are near that range....
But they WILL NOT be using the EXACT FRS frequencies..
That has been allocated in its OWN band by the FCC...
Hence, its most likely bleed over...

Crista

cristisphoto

tiawah466 said:
I have seen FRS used in training and also as firefighter to individual trucks on large grass fires.

Than that's probay the answer then...
Here in Frisco:roll:
both PD and Fire whom use the SAMe TRS have TGID's set aside for training...
as do the new dispatchers ....
I usually lock them out UNLESS its a VERY quiet day..:roll: :lol: :wink:

Crista

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
We kept FRS radios on out trucks for traffic control so as not to tie up our repeater or simplex channels. There's more and more departments using them these days for simple stuff like this. It coule also been someone using VOX to retransmit radio traffic. I did it for awhile myself.

landonjensen

how would you turn the radio to VOX, because on my pro 95, i just tried to do what you guys said about vox, but wen my radio picks up the sound, and starts to transmit, the scanner stops???

nexus

drew6553 said:
or if someone had a VOX capable FRS radio next to a scanner using it so they wouldnt have to always be by the radio

I've done this before, it's quite useful when you are say inside a building and want to listen to the scanner mounted in a vehicle. Just take a pair of FRS radios, set one to VOX and put it close to the scanner's speaker, and take the other FRS radio with you.

Instant portable scanner. The only drawback is not knowing who's talking when you have multiple agencies scanning, but otherwise its very useful.

bassmkenk2508

nexus said:
I've done this before, it's quite useful when you are say inside a building and want to listen to the scanner mounted in a vehicle. Just take a pair of FRS radios, set one to VOX and put it close to the scanner's speaker, and take the other FRS radio with you.

Instant portable scanner. The only drawback is not knowing who's talking when you have multiple agencies scanning, but otherwise its very useful.

That is genius! ;)

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
Kinda off topic, but I saw this interesting item on another forum:

http://www.dingotel.com/

If enough of us had these we could actually chat without keyboards. And speaking of VOX FRS next to a scanner, there could even be temporary "nets" set up during high profile monitoring occassions around the country using this technology.

Something like this could even be incorperated into the Incident Reporting on line dispatch services that send out notices to members when something happens. If there isn't an online scanner in the event/incident area, a member could establish a temporary connection for the duration. Of course, all this is subject to interference from other FRS users.

I'm waiting for the price to come down alittle before I buy one to experiment with. (And remember boys and girls, a preposition is a terrible thing to end a sentence with.)

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
I've used the FRS vox scanner set up for both mobile and home use. The mobile application is neat when carrying a full size scanner is impractical. I've also used this technique to augment my hand held. Not only do you get to listen to your scanner, you can hear if someone gets into your vehicle!

Even if you don't have a radio in the car to remote, leave a FRS vox radio on when out of the car. When getting my vehicle serviced, I leave one in the car so I can listen as the car is moved around. Usually I can tell when my car is ready before I'm paged. Try it the next time you have your oil changed at Wal-Mart, or better yet, the next time you get new tires. One time I was in the shopping center next door to Sam's Club when I heard the ding ding ding as the door was opened and closed and the zip zip zip as lug nuts were removed and replaced. I got some strange looks from people in Target that day!

Sometimes "low tech" is the way to go!

Speaking of low tech, I’ve had limited success using baby monitors as car to car intercoms. I’ve set up two sets of baby monitors (each bought for five bucks or less at yard sales) to have an “open” intercom between vehicles. As long as cars remain close enough, you can use these to communicate without having to hold on to a radio and use a PTT button. Clipping the transmitter and/or receiver to the sun visor is the best position for obvious reasons. I’ve also left one next to a scanner in another vehicle as a one way monitor and then used FRS for car to car.

One thing to remember about all these small gizmos in a vehicle is that each can become a projectile in a crash. Small bungee cords and velcro help to secure, anchor, and fasten things in place.

Last edited:

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
I've used the FRS vox scanner set up for both mobile and home use. The mobile application is neat when carrying a full size scanner is impractical. I've also used this technique to augment my hand held. Not only do you get to listen to your scanner, you can hear if someone gets into your vehicle!

Even if you don't have a radio in the car to remote, leave a FRS vox radio on when out of the car. When getting my vehicle serviced, I leave one in the car so I can listen as the car is moved around. Usually I can tell when my car is ready before I'm paged. Try it the next time you have your oil changed at Wal-Mart, or better yet, the next time you get new tires. One time I was in the shopping center next door to Sam's Club when I heard the ding ding ding as the door was opened and closed and the zip zip zip as lug nuts were removed and replaced. I got some strange looks from people in Target that day!

Sometimes "low tech" is the way to go!

Speaking of low tech, I’ve had limited success using baby monitors as car to car intercoms. I’ve set up two sets of baby monitors (each bought for five bucks or less at yard sales) to have an “open” intercom between vehicles. As long as cars remain close enough, you can use these to communicate without having to hold on to a radio and use a PTT button. Clipping the transmitter and/or receiver to the sun visor is the best position for obvious reasons. I’ve also left one next to a scanner in another vehicle as a one way monitor and then used FRS for car to car.

One thing to remember about all these small gizmos in a vehicle is that each can become a projectile in a crash. Small bungee cords and velcro help to secure, anchor, and fasten things in place.

N

N_Jay

I am fairly sure FRS is not legal for "re-broadcast".

I am also fairly sure it is not legal to "Re-broadcast" LMR traffic that is not intended for you.

Southtown800

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I know in Ansonia CT, ARMS (ansonia rescue and medical service) the were using a GMRS frequency for a while, i dont know if they still use it?....I moved to a diffrent town, and the department of mental health services uses FRS Ch 12 code 23 for operations from buidling to building, i hear them once in a while call out "Dr.Blue" with the Call button which means someone is flipping out......but i know it's illegal to use FRS for business use, and GMRS without a license is also illegal, but god knows why they sell them bulk at walmarts and radio shacks, they should start carrying XTS5000's and sell the DES chips sepreatly and program them out with PS frequencies,

N

N_Jay

nexus said:
n jay i guess you better turn me into the fcc huh?

Some people don't care, others don't kn ow better.

I'm just informing the latter.

R

Rayjk110

I've used cheapy FRS crap radios next to scanners for remote monitoring say when working around with various antennas and not having someone else to sit at the console and give out reports, so carrying another HT is just what my solution was.

Status
Not open for further replies.