Frs

Status
Not open for further replies.

denseglow

OK, I was listening to 462.7125 which is FRS channel 7... it sounded like hotel ops. "housekeeping" and stuff like that. They were TXing at 4 watts. Anyone else ever hear people using frs for business?

midnightcaller

Premium Subscriber
All the time. The big car sale,when thye have it at everett mall uses FRS to keep track of whats going on on hte lot and my local hardware store uses FRS

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Lots of businesses that have no need for special features of professional radios use FRS. The eqiupment is cheap, simple, and requires no licence.

denseglow

I could hear them pretty far away from downtown. I know what is legally is, I'm just saying, do people still use em at four watts?

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
I use it at 4 watts and admit it. 462.7125 is a GMRS frequecy limited to 5 watts erp. Too bad you didn't need room service. Beats picking up a phone.

kd7rto

There is a crew controlling traffic for a railroad project using "bubble pack" radios on GMRS 462.55, a block from my house. No ID, clearly illegal. Whadda ya think, guys? Worth reporting, or should we consider GMRS a lost cause?

traumacop

Premium Subscriber

ReceiverBeaver

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
No, don't report it. Dontcha have something better to do with yourself and your life than to worry about the working Joe or your neighbor bending some little weenie radio rule?

Just because someone doesn't SAY their callsign on GMRS doesn't necessarily mean that they don't have one. During normal traffic or conversations, saying this big long jibberish callsign on a low power short range FM handheld is an encumberance.

And they may well have been on .5 watts on an FRS rig. Speculation is specious.

Chill pills for everybody ! Free ! Take one !

N

N_Jay

If it realy bothers you, report it.

We have enough garbage bands.

If it is a rail crew, they have their own frequencies.
If it is a contractor, they are being paid to have the RIGHT and LEGAL equipment.

kd7rto

Bubble packers

ReceiverBeaver said:
No, don't report it. Dontcha have something better to do with yourself and your life than to worry about the working Joe or your neighbor bending some little weenie radio rule?
Bubble packers degrade the GMRS service. It used to be that you could communicate with family members all over the area with repeaters. Now repeater operation is all but impossible due to all the interference.

We just have to live with the bubble packers which operate legally, but the illegal ones, we can do something about. Thanks for helping me make the decision to report them.

ReceiverBeaver said:
Just because someone doesn't SAY their callsign on GMRS doesn't necessarily mean that they don't have one.
Even if they have a license, GMRS is for personal, non-commercial use. What they are using these radios for is not permitted on this service.
ReceiverBeaver said:
And they may well have been on .5 watts on an FRS rig. Speculation is specious.
462.55 is not an FRS channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.