Frustrated 2096 Scancat and Win96 Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow scanner freaks. I just bought a Pro 2096 and am looking forward to getting the matching portable Pro 96. Being new to digital signals and trying my luck at entering freqs. manually I decided to get the Scancat Lite full version not trial. Upon using it I found some things out by trial and error but am still a little confused. I used pre made RSD files and kind of got the hang of things. But still to no avail I hate entering the data. Especially since my vision is kind of funky at my age.

Though new to using Scancat I find some querky things with it and decided to use Win96 - 30 Day Trial Version. This program has a lot better interface and is more dependable when sending the info to the scanner. My problem now is I try to use the Internet frequency search and get the data frome RR and it won't fill any banks with the data. I am a paid subscriber to the online data base here. Is this because I am using the trial version? I tried to write the selected info compiled from RR as a xml file to import but the file appears to be empty. I am really frustrated because when I purchased the rcvr. from Rat Shack the guy just loaded up Scancat, went here to RR and got the data and viola my scanner has stuff to listen to.

Any help for the newbie? Or should I say HOPE?

Thanks folks for any info you can supply and I look forward to picking your brains in the future.

Bill

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
try web import instead of just reg import, or go to the database you want to prgram and copy and paste the freq into the bank you want and make the selection, if ya need help either post here or shoot me a pm, I have the 2096 and programmed mine with no probs..

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Bill I don't have a 2096, but we do have a wiki article that shows how to prepare data imported from RR here (anything in blue or underlined is a link);

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Win96

No need to copy/paste - if you are just selecting freqs, make sure you check mark everything you want to pull into the bank.

If hawkeye can't get you what you need, just go to your state's forum and ask for a .p96 file for your area. Or check the various Yahoo scanning groups for one in your area, and ask the same question. Lots of sources for help exist! I suspect hawkeye should be able to get you straight, though...

73 Mike

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Don't ever call anyone a "scanner freak" ok? I don't call you names, so please have enough decorum to use the King's English as it is intended.

Thank you guys. I found success with Win96 and am going to try to make this my software of choice. As I progress today I am making another request for help in understanding how p-25 works and EDACS and Motorola trunking work. I also need understanding of how to enter some onf the tones colums in the databases I search for. The WIKI thing you advised on is AWESOME!!!. Thanks so much. If you care to follow I am starting a new thread with subject of Understanding Entering Data Into Pro2096. Look forward to your excellent responses.

Bill

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Bill (and others who might feel so inclined) - please feel free to add details to that Win96 article in the wiki. If there's no help (or not enough detail in the help file) for the software I certainly wouldn't mind if this article were used for that purpose. You can't be the only one that grumbled about something that wasn't well defined in the help. Then we can have Don add this article as a link off his website - so others can find it easily.

You can log into the wiki using your RR ID and password. EMail Lindsay if you have issues with this, as the wiki admins don't have access to the wiki password server.

73 Mike

My appologies Sky. I'm used to using these types of terms in other areas and subject matters. I also include myself in the statement for they are used in a mild form of sarcasm for humor. For when we can laugh at ourselves we tend to be able to let the things that offend roll off the back. I have been called many times a computer geek and chip head for my someowhat expertise in the field of computers. I don't wear glasses with tape on the nose piece and I don't travel with a pocket protecter and last I don't get offended.

If people are going to tell me what I can say or can't then I also have the same God given right so please let me rebutt.

I appologise sincerely to you personaly for having offended you with this metaphore and hope you are man enought to accept my appology. In return may I suggest you not wear your heart on your sleeve and expell this persecution attitude taking messages written in forums personally and offensively. I appologize for having offended you. I don't not appologize for my statement.

In a effort to make things run more smoothly I will make an effort in the future to not use slang or metaphores but I can't promise they will not happen again and that you will not be offended so may I suggest that to prevent future missunderstanding you not read or review any forum subjects created by me.

As for the King's English. Well try to understand that I have a High School Ed. and failed or close to failed all English classes from Jr. High on. Blame it on ADD or ADHD or just lazy.

The laymens version:Gee guy, chill out dude. Was just a joke.

Thank you for taking time to red and understand.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.