Frustrated in Charlotte Meck County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmont

First, thanks in advance to anyone able to help. I am a new scanner owner with a PRO 82 which of course you have to manually program. Here is the number 1 problem. Apparently, I can't program any frequency with the first digit beginning in 8 I guess. Also, is CharMeck digital and would that not work with my PRO82 or even if I bought the PRO162 or PRO164? I am thinking about trying one of those two and the scan cat disc to program from my computer. Any ideas would be great. Which would be better, the PRO162 or the PRO164? It looks like all of the Police frequencies begin w/ a number 8 here in Charlotte. Sorry to be so wordy.

bonus1331

The PRO-82 doesn't do trunking, so you will not be able to monitor the Charmeck TRS with this scanner.
The Charmeck system is NOT digital, so you will not need a digital scanner.
Both the PRO-162 and 164 will work for this system along with the PRO-97, and a bunch of Uniden scanners (BC246T, BR330T).
Let us know if you have further questions.

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
Software

Should you get the Pro 164 or Pro 97, you might want to try Win97 from starrsoft.com to program. The Pro 162 should have a product from Butel Software out shortly. In my observations, many members here at Radio Reference recommend shying away from ScanCat products.

KM4WLV

Pro 162

I got a Pro162 today, and I am very happy with it. I've got the following programmed :

Salisbury / Rowan TRS
NC VIPER TRS
Concord - Kannapolis - Cabbarus TRS
Char/Meck TRS

I live right outside Salisbury, and I am getting excellent reception. I'm getting pretty decent coverage on the Char/Meck stuff, and I'm about 40 miles from Meck County. BTW to the original poster, good luck, good scanning, and most of all, WELCOME to RR.COM !!!!!!

blinddog50

Dmont,
Depending on where you reside in the Char/Meck would have a bearing on what type of scanner you need.
If you only want to hear the Char/Meck TRS I would recommend a Pro-97 or a BR330T.
Both are in the same price range.
As you can see I am partial to Unidens.
If you live in the S. Meck. area you might want to consider a digital scanner for York Co.
If you need any help just let us know.
Wecome to rr.

P.S. Make sure you get a radio capable of doing I-CALL.

Dmont

Thanks, I really appreciate the input that everyone has had and I think that I will replace the PRO 82 with the 162 or 97. I live in North Charlotte and would be interested in listening to a wide variety of frequencies but thought maybe the police frequencies would be more lively. I don't think I've seen any Bearcat products at Radio Shack's I've been to. I'll bet they have them online. I will also do some research on the WIN97 for programming. I can't wait to join you guys with some good listening!

bonus1331

Don't buy Bearcat products at Radio Shack!!
They will charge you at LEAST 25% more than any online retailer.
If you decide to go with a Uniden product (which I'm also partial too), let us know and we can give you some good online retailers.
I've also bought used equipment through these foruns as well as Ebay.

Dmont

Thanks David! I think I would be open to getting a Uniden handheld comparable to the price range of maybe the PRO162. Any sites you would have in mind would be appreciated. I guess I have felt trapped with the Radio Shack models because that's the only retailer in my area that sells radio scanners.

bonus1331

I prefer the Unidens due to the way they are prgrammed, the memory management they have, and the smaller form factor.
You can try:
usascan.com
hamstation.com
scannermaster.com

I have bought from all three.
They are all reputable.
If your not worried about digital and are concerned about returning the stick with RS and the PRO-162 or 164.
I would highly recommend the Uniden BC246T or BR330T. You can also try Uniden.com and see if they have any refurbished units-many times at good discounts.
Once you get something, get back with us.

Dmont

Hello everyone. I just purchased the PRO 162 and am doing a little reading up on it. I haven't bought the usb for it yet so I guess I can only manually scan at this point but at least if want to do that, it will take the frequencies that begin with 8. I really appreciate everyone's help.

bonus1331

Might as well hold off on the USB cable. Looking at the RadioReference Wiki; there isn't any software for the 162 yet. Looks like Butel is working on some.
Looks like hand programming for the time being.
Let us know when your monitoring.

Dmont

PRO 162 Programming

I got a Pro162 today, and I am very happy with it. I've got the following programmed :

Salisbury / Rowan TRS
NC VIPER TRS
Concord - Kannapolis - Cabbarus TRS
Char/Meck TRS

I live right outside Salisbury, and I am getting excellent reception. I'm getting pretty decent coverage on the Char/Meck stuff, and I'm about 40 miles from Meck County. BTW to the original poster, good luck, good scanning, and most of all, WELCOME to RR.COM !!!!!!

Hello Daniel, any pointers for programming at least teh Char/Meck TRS in. If I can learn that one then I can likely do the surrounding counites. I have the PRO 162 which seems to be a handful for a beginner. I appreciate the warm welcome to the site.

Dmont

krafteame

new as a newbie can be needs help please

Hi, I noticed that Dmon was around the same area I am. I just purchased a Uniden BC340crs and do not know how to program it. I am interesed in Rowan area rescue, law, ect. Can you or anyone help me? I am totally lost at this. Im usualy good at programing VCR and anything else but Im just not sure of what to put in, like what "freq." I would be so grateful for any patient help.
Krafteam/Lisa

Soundman

Programing

Well man you my be able to get the page out but that it .Most everything is trunking now .So that scanner is really just a led screen with numbers .You need to see if you can get a refund and get a trunk tracker .I wish thy did not change all the stuff to trunking .I had to change all my scanners to :( .I had 4 scanner .Now I have 3 .1 digital bc296d and 1 bc785d that does not have the card and 1 bc245xlt and when thy go to Digital then I have to replace the two other .So if you look into getting a new scanner get a Digital .It will cost you but it will be worth it in the future.Go for Bearcat thy are worth it.For thoes that love Radio Shack please forgive me thy are cheeper but thy are harder to program and thy are made of cheeper parts and most of the parts come from uniden anyways .If you are looking for good software to use if you have a uniden scanner or a radio shack scanner you should try this place I use them and thy are great . http://www.scannersoft.com/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.