Frustrated newbe

Status
Not open for further replies.

j-d-w

Premium Subscriber
I have purchased a new scanner Pro651 from Radio shack their 1 week 2 free download software, I loaded that and followed directions, also then used the Radio reference software to find the frequencies that I wanted [UMES Consortium} I then programmed my scanner smoothly. I used my two free system downloads and wanted more. I paid my $30.00 to upgrade and 39.50 for one year upgrade to Radio reference, all went well until I tried to transfer more my radio reference frequencies or to "connect".At that point the software stops working as if {when I was out of my 2 free downloads} Do I need to spend more for more upgrades? Change something? Worked great for free, now when paid it stayed and just quit as above. Please help

N8IAA

I have purchased a new scanner Pro651 from Radio shack their 1 week 2 free download software, I loaded that and followed directions, also then used the Radio reference software to find the frequencies that I wanted [UMES Consortium} I then programmed my scanner smoothly. I used my two free system downloads and wanted more. I paid my $30.00 to upgrade and 39.50 for one year upgrade to Radio reference, all went well until I tried to transfer more my radio reference frequencies or to "connect".At that point the software stops working as if {when I was out of my 2 free downloads} Do I need to spend more for more upgrades? Change something? Worked great for free, now when paid it stayed and just quit as above. Please help

Did you put the KEY in for the software when you purchased it?
Larry

j-d-w

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, Larry for responding. I could not tell you exactly where the key page is, I did see t though and it had the key numbers automaticly in it. I think I read that is because I used credit card other ways of payment you wait for snail mail to bring it and do it yourself. So I think the answer would be yes.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You are now logged in as a premium subscriber (see the icon next to your location?). So whatever software you purchased (which one?) should be good to go without any further purchases.

I think a note to Lindsay is in order here...Mike

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you, Larry for responding. I could not tell you exactly where the key page is, I did see t though and it had the key numbers automaticly in it. I think I read that is because I used credit card other ways of payment you wait for snail mail to bring it and do it yourself. So I think the answer would be yes.
The "key" you may be seeing there could be the key generated for the trial software, not the 'permanent key' that should have been emailed to you when you purchased the software. Check the emailed key information. If it does not match what you are seeing in the software "key" entries, then see if you can enter the updated information.

j-d-w

Premium Subscriber
Frustrated newbee

The KEY code that is in place automatically is in RadioReference under "my account". I have not been e-mailed a key code from RadioReference, also the Radio Shack software looks to be ARC500 of which I also upgraded for the 30.00 fee, and no Key code there at all, there or e-mailed. Big Thanks so far.

j-d-w

Premium Subscriber
frustrated newbee

Also when I upgraded my Radio Reference software it showed that at that point I am a premium subscriber, but I did not get the decal until today, Thank you Lindsay and Mike at least for the cool badge as of this afternoon, that's a good direction anyway

j-d-w

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all for supporting me enough to continue to find the problem, especially the ones saying key code. I was intent on finding the problem in Radio Reference program, It was not there at all problem was in the ARC500 part of Radioshacks program. Click start software in RS program it will open ARC500,click on the main page of HELP in ARC500, drop down will show register. Click that will open a separate box to install keycode. The problem was not in Radio Reference at all. Hope this helps anyone in the future upgrading their software, especially the guys who said "keycode" Thanks again !!!

RDGDigital

New emergency radio system launches

Hi j-d-w,

Sorry I didn't see this thread any sooner but now that I have I wanted to make you aware of a few things. If you read the article above it will show you that Talbot County has plans to move away from the UMESC system and onto the MD FIRST system. Once they do that I'm not sure what Caroline and Queen Anne counties will do, but I think they will probably eventually also move to the same system. The reason I'm mentioning this is that the MD FIRST system is a Project 25 phase II system and the Radio Shack PRO-651 will not be able to monitor it.

Also, since the PRO-651 is a portable radio, I assume you may want to use it mobile. If so there are several local systems that are already on the MD FIRST system, for example... Kent County, Bay Bridge Police, Maryland State Police (although they currently can still be heard on the UMESC system).

You may want to monitor the Maryland forum in Radio Reference to keep yourself up to date about changes taking place in Maryland.

Although I have several Radio Shack scanners myself and really like them a lot, I do think they tend to take advantage of their customers with scanners. The PRO-651 is a Radio Shack branded version of the Whistler WS1040 which sells for about the same price elsewhere (Radio Shack charges a premium for it). But Radio Shack makes you pay extra for the programming cable and power supply both of which come standard with the Whistler models.

If you had asked for my recommendation before purchasing the PRO-651 I would have recommended the Whistler WS1080. Even though it's about $100 more expensive than the PRO-651 it comes with everything you need, including software for programming it. You don't even need a premium account with Radio Reference since the entire Radio Reference database is included on an SD card in the radio and the included software allows you to update it at any time. It also monitors Project 25 phase II systems.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a spoil sport, it's that I just wanted to make you aware. Radio Shack does have a good 30 day money back guarantee, just something to think about.

On the good side, the PRO-651 does an excellent job of monitoring the UMESC system.

And one last thing, since you and me are practically neighbors (I'm in Greensboro) if you ever need help programming any of these systems, I'd be glad to offer some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.