Frustrated User

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvt

I have owned the bcd536hp now for almost a month and have yet to make any real progress with the unit. I have yet to figure out how to successfully set up and scan a favorite list. I can't monitor individual or a range of talkgroups in a P25 system which was the reason I bought the scanner in the first place to do. About the only thing that seems to work is typing in my zip code and letting it scan, and even then, some systems randomly vanish from the automatic scan and re-appear at random after cycling the unit on and off. I also am disappointed that I have not been able to pick up much of any aircraft communication and I live just a few miles from one of the busiest airports in the world. This scanner has given me nothing but headaches and I am strongly considering returning/sellling it at this point. I didn't realize that despite paying $600 I also would have to transform into Albert Einstein in order to operate this scanner and get it to do even the simplest of tasks.

SCPD

QRT
IF not done so. .................................
In the "Sentinel Software" Go to Edit Profile
Enable everything in Service Type even custom 1
Then go to Download/ Monitor Quick keys
Set it on and on and enable quick keys 1 2 3 and so on for each FL you have .
save it or close it and it will ask you to save it.
Download it to your Scanner and turn your list on or off by pressing 1,2,3 or so with enter and it will turn on or of.
This is the first step for you to try.
Don't get afraid or scarred,. just do each step one by one.
Then report back how far you got or where you need more help..

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
I also am disappointed that I have not been able to pick up much of any aircraft communication and I live just a few miles from one of the busiest airports in the world.

Aircraft reception is different than most other scanning. You really need to adjust the squelch as loose as you can, and replace the duckie antenna with something that covers VHF, up on the roof. Airports use very low power for ground channels, and aim their signal on tower and approach/departure frequencies up off the ground (which makes them difficult to pick up without getting YOUR antenna up in the air off the ground).

I am about 6 miles from our airport, and get next to nothing in the house with the duckie, but on my rooftop antenna (about 30'), I can get all the airport comms and aircraft as well. The x36HP series is much better sounding on air band than my older rat shack scanner, or my BCT15.

Status
Not open for further replies.