Frustrated with Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

papadoc

Premium Subscriber
I'm programming 2 scanners, my older 436HP and my new SDS100. I created a profile for the SDS100 (named it SDS100) and wrote to the scanner without any issues. Everything worked great as expected. I then saved the profile using Save As for the 436HP with the name 436HP and changed the Target Model to BCD436HP. I deleted one of the Favorites and replaced it with another and saved. Now here's my frustration. When I opened the SDS100 profile, the favorites were the same as the 436HP, although the Target Model showed SDS100. So no matter what I do in one, it effects the other. I can't seem to find a way to make them different, one for the SDS100 and another for the 436HP with different favorites. Any suggestions, please?

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm programming 2 scanners, my older 436HP and my new SDS100. I created a profile for the SDS100 (named it SDS100) and wrote to the scanner without any issues. Everything worked great as expected. I then saved the profile using Save As for the 436HP with the name 436HP and changed the Target Model to BCD436HP. I deleted one of the Favorites and replaced it with another and saved. Now here's my frustration. When I opened the SDS100 profile, the favorites were the same as the 436HP, although the Target Model showed SDS100. So no matter what I do in one, it effects the other. I can't seem to find a way to make them different for each scanner. Any suggestions, please?
All Favorites lists in Sentinel are visible regardless of which Profile is used. This has always been the case.

However, you can still have differences in the two (or more) profiles, even though the Favorites lists are the same. For my SDS100 profile, I have a Favorites list specifically to be used with that scanner. I have other lists set to also be downloaded for the SDS100. But not all are set to also be monitored, only downloaded. And some of the others are neither downloaded, nor monitored, in the SDS100.

For my x36HP scanners, there is a different mix of systems set to be downloaded, with some also monitored, whereas the SDS100 lists are neither monitored or downloaded.

So, while all of the Favorites lists you have created in Sentinel will always show in the list, you can still tailor setings for lists to be used (or not) with specific scanner models, just as you can also have different settings, like for Priority or Close Call, between the units.

papadoc

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply hiegtx. So I take it Sentinel is not designed to save separate lists unique to each scanner as llwade asked. So I'm thinking based on your reply, that although I will have numerous favorites in a profile, which include both favorites for the SDS100 and the 436HP, I have the option of downloading the ones to the SDS100 while excluding the favorites for the 436Hp, then downloading the 436HP favorites to that scanner and exclude the SDS100 favorites in Edit > Profile. Is that correct? if so, how does that effect Qucik Key settings?

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You would create two different versions of the Favorites List. In one profile, a FL would be marked to be uploaded/monitored, in the other the other FL would be marked to be uploaded/monitored.

papadoc

Premium Subscriber
You would create two different versions of the Favorites List. In one profile, a FL would be marked to be uploaded/monitored, in the other the other FL would be marked to be uploaded/monitored.
Ok, I think I'm getting there. I assume doing that, I would also change the Target To for each, correct?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Correct, always choose 'Target To' whatever scanner you are writing to (programming). I think of Sentinel as a 'pool' of Favorite Lists that I turn on to monitor and download to each profile. They (your favorite Lists) will ALL be in your scanner and you go into your Menu and choose what lists to download and monitor and what lists to keep off that you don't want in that particular profile. You can do it via Sentinel or you can do it in the radio menu, whatever is easier for you.

JD
kf4anc

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

I've done this before to deal with the same predicament. To save time, I exported the given Favorites List to an HPE file, with a unique name to avoid confusion. Then I imported that HPE file as a new Favorites List with a new name to avoid confusion. Once imported I made the desired edits. This is very good for deleting unnecessary "stuff".

(It's also a good way if you are going to massively remodel any Favorites List. You'll have a copy for recovery purposes in case you need to use a four letter word like "Oops".)

papadoc

Premium Subscriber
Success, I've got it! Thanks to everyone who replied, I'm now able to load different lists to each scanner. Again, thank you for helping me. I really appreciate it.

dfw1193

I was too as confused as you and went to the extreme of installing sentinel on 2 computers so I seen only the favorites list that applied to the particular scanner, then finally reading and experimenting it sunk in how it actually works. Now I am back to 1 sentinel installation using more profiles and not concerned that all show since now I know how to pick and choose for the profiles.

There are many ways to do things when software is written to achieve the same end result. The user frustration comes in when the user thinks it works the way he would have wanted it to when in reality it works the way the programmer made it but achieves the same result. However since the programmer normally does not write the documentation, the user gets how it works interpreted thru 3 and 4 other persons putting together the documentation who may never even operationally use the software on a daily basis but minimally just to document it.

Im still trying to fully understand quick keys and come up with some method of remembering how to navigate them.

teknishun

Success, I've got it! Thanks to everyone who replied, I'm now able to load different lists to each scanner. Again, thank you for helping me. I really appreciate it.

Just remember that favorite lists are shared by ALL profiles. If you delete a profile it does not delete the favorite
lists that were in said profile. BUT if you change a favorites list or delete a favorites list, that change carries down
to all profiles and will be reflected there. No matter what profile you open you will always see ALL the favorite
lists -- but that does not mean you have to use them in each profile. What gets loaded into the scanner
with each profile depends on the settings for the Download and Monitor functions of the Scan Selection tab.

papadoc

Premium Subscriber
Just remember that favorite lists are shared by ALL profiles. If you delete a profile it does not delete the favorite
lists that were in said profile. BUT if you change a favorites list or delete a favorites list, that change carries down
to all profiles and will be reflected there. No matter what profile you open you will always see ALL the favorite
lists -- but that does not mean you have to use them in each profile. What gets loaded into the scanner
with each profile depends on the settings for the Download and Monitor functions of the Scan Selection tab.
Thanks for the info. Very good to know.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've learned from painful experience deleting a Favorites List can be a bad thing. Only if I am really, really sure I'll never use it again, will I delete a FL.

If I'm just really sure I'll never use it again, I'll export the FL to an HPE file, then delete the FL. That HPE file can be re-imported into Sentinel at a later date.

dvanhoose

Premium Subscriber
After reading the posts above I understand a little better. The problem I have is that I would like to have a different FL number for a given system on different profiles. I have a 100 and a 200 at home and also am programming 3 200's at work. I would like have Miami Dade system on FL#2 at work but have the same (Miami Dade) on FL#7on my home units. I can't figure a way to do this.

phask

Premium Subscriber
After reading the posts above I understand a little better. The problem I have is that I would like to have a different FL number for a given system on different profiles. I have a 100 and a 200 at home and also am programming 3 200's at work. I would like have Miami Dade system on FL#2 at work but have the same (Miami Dade) on FL#7on my home units. I can't figure a way to do this.

Simple - make 2 different lists and assign whichever using profile.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'd approach this differently, but I often do strange things. I would put Miami Dade in its own, separate Favorites List, giving it a unique FL Quick Key number. That way it would be in both work and home scanners. That way FLQK xx is Miami Dade at both places. Less stuff to remember.

Having two separate iterations doubles any maintenance work.

dvanhoose

Premium Subscriber
I need different fl numbers between work and home. The work units only need Date and Broward county systems. At home, I live in Broward and also have different counties up the state for traveling to relatives. My fl numbering system is different. I could make duplicates and different profiles. Sure wish there was an easier way.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You can have more than one FL active. Example:

FL1 Miami Dade
FL2 Broward
FL3 Whatever Your Home County is
FL4 Whatever Your Work County is
FL5 All the Stuff you'd scan when traveling.

When at home: FL1 On, Fl2 Off, FL3 On, FL4 Off, FL5 Off
When at work: FL1 On, FL2 On, FL3 Off, FL4 On, FL5 Off
When traveling: FL1 Off, FL2 Off, FL3 On, FL4 Off, FL5 On

Basically you toggle the appropriate FL Quick Keys based on your scanning situation.

You could also consider using Startup Keys, this is a way of setting up various scanning scenarios as you power up the unit.

Creating different Profiles for home, work and on the road is challenging because you have to do a write to scanner whenever you want a different Profile to the used.

With that said, I do have different profiles for different scanning situations, but each is on its own separate SD card and I'll change out SD cards based on what I'm doing. It's easier for my 536s, but a little cumbersome on the handhelds because the SD card is tougher to get to.

Status
Not open for further replies.