Fry Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

les108

Just wondering has anyone here any dealing with Frys Electronics in regards to buying scanners from???

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
If you can get past them not having much in stock, the salespeople who don't know squat about scanners, and nothing special on prices, guess they are OK!!!!

I have been into the store just to see items, pick them up, feel the buttons, etc, but then go home and order online...

My two cents worth...

les108

mass-man said:
If you can get past them not having much in stock, the salespeople who don't know squat about scanners, and nothing special on prices, guess they are OK!!!!

I have been into the store just to see items, pick them up, feel the buttons, etc, but then go home and order online...

My two cents worth...

They had the 396t for 45 dollars more than normal.

tneff

I think they said all there is to know about them , If I have to go there I try not to talk to the salepeople impersonaters and find what I need and move on.

shaft

Fry's is a neat place, they seem to have a lot of stuff, but are quite a bit over priced. Im sure you can find better deals else where.

radio10-8

This has been floating around for a while

Don't flame me , just passing on what others think and have said about Fry's.
I shop at Fry's. They have good prices and probably the best variety of items for sale.
You can do better pricing online at other stores. But if it's 9:30 at night at you need to buy a wireless card, remote control car, dvd of Benny Hill's greatest shows, 50 feet of speaker cable and a coke and potato chips then fry's is the place.

http://braith.best.vwh.net/frys.htm
http://www.accesscom.com/~dave6592/frys.html

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
10-8,
Fry's, at least in this area, is usually reasonably competitive on pc related items. On non-pc items, like scanners, they're way off the mark.

PhilJSmith67

I've been purchasing scanners through CEI since the early 80s. I have never had any problems whatsoever with them. I even returned a $600 unit in the past just because of a couple firmware bugs and they were pretty nice about the whole thing, even waived the "restocking fee."

I have also not had any problems with returning things to Fry's, but they are indeed charging a higher price for scanners. The Fry's in Illinois actually does have at least one salesperson that is familiar with the different models.

Last edited:

ECPD279

Premium Subscriber
The only thing I buy at Fry's is computer parts. Everything else costs less elsewhere.

If you do break down and buy from Fry's, make sure your item is not marked with the "Sticker of Death". This is the sticker Fry's put's on items that have been returned. Generally all they do is bench test the item, reseal it, and place the "Sticker of Death" on the package. The do not recondition items, and you get no discount for accepting a returned item. Caveat Emptor truly applies at Fry's.

kc7vtr

At the N. Phoenix Frys the stickered items are usually $5-10 less than the new ones. Not enough, IMHO, to make it worth taking a chance on.

sacscan

radio10-8 said:
But if it's 9:30 at night at you need to buy a wireless card, remote control car, dvd of Benny Hill's greatest shows, 50 feet of speaker cable and a coke and potato chips then fry's is the place.
Here in Sacramento Fry's closes at 9:00.

I did get a good deal on a BC898T at Fry's. They had the unit in the locked cabinet. Brand new, not a scratch on it, but no box or owners manual. Antenna and AC adapter were there.

They let me have it for $188, and it is now sitting here happily scanning CHP. The regular price for the 898T is $209.95, which is still a good price.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Fry's Scanners More Expensive

The scanners at Fry's Electronics (Outpost.com) are actually more expensive than you could find them elsewhere.

At least this is what I have seen.

For example, the Uniden BCD396T is $579.99 at Fry's. This scanner can be found many other places for less than $519.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.