• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ft-2dr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delivers1234

HI.

i work for a public school. could i mod my ft-2dr to use gmrs signals tx? would it work when they tx on say channel 3 with the .1? ofr if they change it to 3.4? the ".#" is the code i think that is used?

or is this not legal and really i should be a gmrs radio?

delivers1234

from a website:

1. Backup the radio to the SD memory card.

2. Remove battery pack and locate the small rubber gasket on the back of the radio and remove.

3. Locate the chip resistor marked 000 in the hole and remove it carefully.

4. Replace the rubber gasket and reinstall the battery pack.

5. Reset the microprocessor by turning on the radio while holding down the Back, Display and Band buttons at the same time.

6. Restore the radio from the SD memory card.

New Tx is 140.000-173.995 and 420.000-470.000.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
You definitely can do it but since the radio isn't type accepted it technically isn't legal to do. And as cheap as GMRS radios are youd probably save a little headache just buying one. Also as it's been said 1000 times GMRS channels require a license so hopefully they are using the FRS channels. If you do decide to do it however the "privacy codes" on walkie talkies are just ctcss tones. There's a list on this page. I have no clue how accurate it is or from brand to brand but here they are at least FRS radio privacy tone list | henryranch.net

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Motorola has made tons over the years that are repeater capable so there's plenty of a used market. If I were buying some I would go with something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00W..._SY340_QL65&keywords=motorola+talkabout+radio that's two radios preprogrammed for FRS & GMRS with the GMRS repeater channels as well. And it monitors NOAA frequencies. Also is rechargeable which is a huge plus if you're using them often. Not a bad buy for 76 for a pair. You can probably find some older models much cheaper if you don't mind used. There's tons of bubble pack radios on the market but if you need one with repeater capability I would read the details. If your employer is using FRS / GMRS radios double check they are on 1 - 14. The channels above 14 require a GMRS license. Technically the license free FRS channels require a radio without a removable antenna and lower power output.

D

DaveNF2G

If you are trying to get on an employer's radio system, the proper and legal way to do so is to be issued a radio by your employer. If they require employees to buy their own radios, then they should also have an approved vendor and model list.

amphibian

HI.

i work for a public school. could i mod my ft-2dr to use gmrs signals tx? would it work when they tx on say channel 3 with the .1? ofr if they change it to 3.4? the ".#" is the code i think that is used?

or is this not legal and really i should be a gmrs radio?

delivers1234

from a website:

1. Backup the radio to the SD memory card.

2. Remove battery pack and locate the small rubber gasket on the back of the radio and remove.

3. Locate the chip resistor marked 000 in the hole and remove it carefully.

4. Replace the rubber gasket and reinstall the battery pack.

5. Reset the microprocessor by turning on the radio while holding down the Back, Display and Band buttons at the same time.

6. Restore the radio from the SD memory card.

New Tx is 140.000-173.995 and 420.000-470.000.

That radio is not "Type Accepted" for MURS, FRS, GMRS use.

Doesn't mean you personally can't --- just means according to FCC legally you can't.....

Although FCC has not issued any citations or notices, that I know of and I've been at this for over thirty years, within the last 40 years on "Type Acceptance" policies doesn't mean they wouldn't start tomorrow. There are several web sites that would remove you or me for saying what I just did.... But in my honest opinion if I were in your shoes I wouldn't place the school in a position like that of violating FCC rules.... It's not worth it....

Also, something for you to think about before you do, if you are at the school working and a school employee calls you on your GMRS system about a school issue then that communication could be considered a "business" communication...there again not allowed according to FCC .... and would be more likely to get you into trouble than anything else.

So the answer that would be expected here on this question of yours is NO.....

Sorry, I know what you want and would like but don't do it....

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
A GMRS license covers basically a family and their relatives. A search of the licensing for GMRS will give you a complete list. Is the school using GMRS ?

Delivers1234

The school uses channel 3 with code 1. So they should only use the frs channels. I don't think there is a liscencw that covers the bubble packs as they just bought them. Is ch 3 frs?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It depends. Not all radios use the same channel number to frequency mapping, so it would be helpful to know the actual frequency.

Delivers1234

hi. so when i used my microtalk cobra radio on channel 3 (no code) and set the gmrs radio to channel 3 (no code) it worked.

the microtalk radio has this

3 462.6125 FRS/GMRS

The radiofeference chart says:

03 462.6125 FRS 3 500 mW 12.5 kHz GMRS 11 5 W 25 kHz

So this means they are using FRS? correct and I can use a radio that uses channel 3?

Im thinking about the TERA TR-505 GMRS Recreational Handheld but i read here online about it not complying etc. but if I stay on channel 3 then would i be okay?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
462.6125 is a FRS frequency, so any FRS radio will work for your application.

KG7LER

Premium Subscriber
The TERA TR-505 GMRS radio would require you to use a GMRS callsign to transmit as this radio has a removable antenna and a higher TX output than a regular FRS radio.

500mW vs 5W

Status
Not open for further replies.