Yaesu: FT-3D Mic Gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

swpoole

Just purchased the Yaesu FT-3D and keep getting reports my audio is low. I turn mic gain up to 9 and still have to hold radio right up to my mouth to have people continue to say the audio is weak. Anyone else finding this an issue with this radio?????

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Make sure when you hold the radio your finger doesn't cover the microphone port. When holding the radio with your right hand your finger naturally covers the mic port. We have several users in our area that seem to have trouble with that. Otherwise have not heard of anyone having trouble with low transmit audio.
bb

swpoole

Make sure when you hold the radio your finger doesn't cover the microphone port. When holding the radio with your right hand your finger naturally covers the mic port. We have several users in our area that seem to have trouble with that. Otherwise have not heard of anyone having trouble with low transmit audio.
bb
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm left handed, but I will certainly be aware of my hand placement.

Hit_Factor

Low audio isn't a common problem report for that HT. If you decide it's not your technique, consider calling support.

I sold my FT3DR so I don't know what a level 9 means, but if that's the max there is certainly something going on that needs to be changed/serviced.

swpoole

Check to make sure that your channel is not set to half-deviation. This would make your audio sound quieter to others.
NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BY “HALF DEVIATION”. HAVE GONE THROUGH MANUAL AND FIND NO REFERENCE. IS THIS A PROGRAMMING MATTER?

swpoole

Low audio isn't a common problem report for that HT. If you decide it's not your technique, consider calling support.

I sold my FT3DR so I don't know what a level 9 means, but if that's the max there is certainly something going on that needs to be changed/serviced.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
I think chief21 meant narrowband. Some Yaesu radios called it half deviation. On the FT3 it is under menu item TX/RX Mode item number 2:FM bandwidth, wide or narrow.
bb

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BY “HALF DEVIATION”. HAVE GONE THROUGH MANUAL AND FIND NO REFERENCE. IS THIS A PROGRAMMING MATTER?
On my FT2D Half Deviation is set on or off per stored memory channel, not as an overall radio setting. I would be surprised if the 3 did not include the same option/function. It's about cutting your radio's TX deviation by half resulting in less audio volume at the receiving end.

swpoole

On my FT2D Half Deviation is set on or off per stored memory channel, not as an overall radio setting. I would be surprised if the 3 did not include the same option/function. It's about cutting your radio's TX deviation by half resulting in less audio volume at the receiving end.
I went into the programming and all channels are set at WIDE and Half Deviation is OFF on all channels. Again, thank you for your suggestions. Going through these settings helps me to learn more about the radio and aids to the process of elimination for getting to the root of the problem. Again, Thanks........

jmusto

I've also had low audio reports on my FT-3D. I have noticed that my pinky falls over the mic hole. That said, even when I use the radio left handed and mic gain at 9, deviation set to wide, I still get reports of low audio on analog only. I've noticed the same when receiving other stations who have this radio. I did some testing on the radio, listening with another HT on simplex. If I speak right into the mic hole, the audio is loud and clear. If I hold the radio the way I naturally would, audio is low. If I cover the mic hole with my pinky, audio is non-existent. My observations are that the mic hole is really low on the radio and I tend not to speak into it. Most people hold the radio so that they are speaking into the display or badge where is says "Yaesu". If you do that, the audio will be very low. You must get in the habit of speaking into the mic hole and also not covering it with your pinky. I wish Yaesu had put the mic higher up as holding it so as to speak into the mic properly is a bit unnatural. Again though, if you get in the habit of speaking directly into the mic hole, it has plenty of audio.

I've also noticed that the receive audio sounds much better on digital than analog. Analog is very tinny sounding out of the speaker. This is not the case with other radios I have. It seems Yaesu really tuned this radio for digital modes. I do like the radio overall, it just takes some getting used to.

Hit_Factor

... If I speak right into the mic hole, the audio is loud and clear. ...

Seems like the answer is in this post. We have hundreds of radios at work and the same users who won't hold the mic in front of their mouths complain about how bad the system is. Being a noisy, industrial environment, we have noise cancelling mics. If they are not used correctly, the mic can't decide if the voice is noise or voice.

Too many quirks and audio issues that HT. I sold my FT3DR after several months of trying to like it.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
One of the differences between the FT2 and the FT3 is that the FT3 is water resistant. My experience with Yaesu radios like the VX6 (submersible) is that they have some sort of internal covering over the mic which can make them sound muffled. I also have FT270 and 277's that have the same issue. You need to work the mic closer than you might otherwise do.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
We recently had a Covid-19 net on our local repeater for new amateurs. It was surprising that some did not know where the mic is on their HH. And yes, when they held the HH close to their mouth and spoke into the mic, the modulation improved greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.