FT-50R no-scan above 147 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabowabo

I have somehow made a change that my FT-50R will no longer sccan above 147.
I have had this radio over 7 yrs and I have looked thru the manual over and over but I just can't find what would cause this. Any helpful ideas to point me in the right direction would be great. Thanks

JeremyB

Check the manual for Programmable memory scan(PMS) and see if you have enabled it.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Not knowing just what you did all I can think of is a memory dump, check the manual on how to reset from scratch. I have a sneaky feeling it ended up set for the European band plan that doesn't go up to 148MHz.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
See page 28 in the manual for a description of "Preset Tuning and Scanning". This feature lets you limit the VFO scan range.

cabowabo

All right I tell ya what I did, I read this MOD that would expand my TX frequency's and lower scan frequencies, Well pretty straight forward directions and it was successful for what was described. I can't remember the sequence DE-pressing few buttons while powering the radio up. It worked but the rest just quit, "stupid. stupid stupid" I cussed.
I will check everyones suggestions and I will come back with results. thanks for the help.. I'm in the weeds!

Not knowing just what you did all I can think of is a memory dump, check the manual on how to reset from scratch. I have a sneaky feeling it ended up set for the European band plan that doesn't go up to 148MHz.

See page 28 in the manual for a description of "Preset Tuning and Scanning". This feature lets you limit the VFO scan range.

Check the manual for Programmable memory scan(PMS) and see if you have enabled it.

cabowabo

I reviewed W9RXR's about page 28 PTS, I tried the PTS exit sequence and did not have an affect.
It scans 100's up tp 447.00 andthen drops down back to 430 goes back up to 447. over and over..

(PMS) JeremyB ? I didn't see that in the book but this maual is way advanced for me, I may have overlooked it, Ill keep reading to find it.

So there is no magic reset to factory setup level by chance? (wishing).

JeremyB

I reviewed W9RXR's about page 28 PTS, I tried the PTS exit sequence and did not have an affect.
It scans 100's up tp 447.00 andthen drops down back to 430 goes back up to 447. over and over..

(PMS) JeremyB ? I didn't see that in the book but this maual is way advanced for me, I may have overlooked it, Ill keep reading to find it.

So there is no magic reset to factory setup level by chance? (wishing).

I guess they called it PTS when this HT was made.

Reset instructions on page 56 of manual. Hold knob and MON while powering on then press the F/W button?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well, there you have it. Every mod to expand TX range screws up something else and you learned the hard way. Better to louse up your rig than find yourself on the wrong side of the FCC, a ham rig is not certified for Part 90 and you'd be in a heap of trouble if you transmit out of band. You need a certified transmitter and proper authorization on specific frequencies but there is a silver lining, you can legally use a Part 90 rig on the Amateur bands since such transmitters do not require certification but only have to meet spectral purity requirements.

cabowabo

I guess they called it PTS when this HT was made.

Reset instructions on page 56 of manual. Hold knob and MON while powering on then press the F/W button?

Jeremy, I quickly flipped to page 56 and saw on the right side "Pwr-on settings and Functions".

I noticed one of the settings Expand Rx range = Knob and Lamp w/ pwr on.
I tried that sequence and that made it work again.
Would have never even gave that page 56 a look if it wasn't for you.
Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.