Yaesu: FT 60 Ni battery life span/

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa88it

Premium Subscriber
Bought 5+ years ago, used intermittently during hurricane season and carried on extended road trips...
Unit’s bat, w/o radio, have not sat in the chargers but put in every 4 or 6 months...just cuz!
left in charger until chg’n lite extinguishes then removed and installed on radio and left standing awaiting me to grab it if needed.

failing mem [looking around wondering where i am at the moment...oh ya] leads me to not remember what previous battery voltages showed on the radios when new, but yesterday’s reading after charging was 8.2V on the newly charged units.

any earthly idea what new bats show after charging?
Is there a easy modality to discern if the charger is appropriately charging or if the bats are degraded?
would a pwr on test w/o xmitting, just receiving weather, and seeing how long the sustain the operation provide any insight per se? [i would hate to discern after a test of letting 5yo bats run dead they self-destructed cuz of it]

thanks...

BTW has anybody solved the switching to lithium usage without extensive modification(s)?

cheers & thanks again

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
but yesterday’s reading after charging was 8.2V on the newly charged units. any earthly idea what new bats show after charging?

8.2v - 8.4v is about right for a fully charged battery.

Is there a easy modality to discern if the charger is appropriately charging or if the bats are degraded?
would a pwr on test w/o xmitting, just receiving weather, and seeing how long the sustain the operation provide any insight per se?

A good test would be to put the radio on a NOAA channel with the volume at a comfortable listening level and let it go. You should get several hours of reception out of a fully charged battery.

If in doubt, replace the battery.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Long term storage of NiMH batteries have always been a challenge. 5 years is around the time when NiMH cells start exhibiting larger rates of self discharge.
What mmckenna said is a good test, but it should also be noted that failing batteries, especially "legacy" types like NiCD and NiMH may give false indication of capacity. Receiving draws, at most 300mah at full volume. Transmit at full power, OTOH, draws 1.2 amps- and this is where you'll see if a 5-7 year old battery will fail when you need it to work, but it can supply ample charge to power the portable for hours on receive.

Best advice for seldom used radios are AA battery shells. All rechargeable batteries are designed for frequent use and aren't really ideal for long term storage with seldom use.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Best advice for seldom used radios are AA battery shells. All rechargeable batteries are designed for frequent use and aren't really ideal for long term storage with seldom use.

Yep, that's what we use on our cache radios. Once a year we recommend going down to Costco/Sams Club/etc. and buying a new brick of AA batteries.

It's the only way to know for sure.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I am using EBL NiMh bateries in my HTX-202. They are a slow discharge design, and after over 3 months, the voltage drop was about 2/10 of a volt for the 8 battery pack. When they need charging, I use an external charger that does each battery separately rather in the radio where they are charged as a single pack. I bought the first ones about 3 years ago, and they still perform well.

Hit_Factor

Might be time to think about selling the FT60 and pickup a FT70 or some other HT that you might fancy. Look in the classifieds, you might get a good deal on used equipment that doesn't cost a lot more than a new battery/chargers etc.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
There are Li-Ion battery packs available for the FT-60. Here is one such example: FNB-V67Li

Yes, you would have to get a new charger that is compatible with Li-Ion technology.

wa88it

Premium Subscriber
Many thanks to all for the prompt technically provided insight...

leading me to think, my battery knowledge has waned [read significantly forgotten] but the originally purchased batts purchased, while olde, might still be operationally sufficient for continued intermittent usage during inclement weather situational events per their initial intent as well as possible usage during [horrors] future community events...

currently have two radios on their batts chirping noaa in a time trial [not sure who will last the duration of this test - - me or the bloody chirping radios!] but it will allow the batts to drain and see how their recharge recovery comes out!

AK9R excellent suggestion - might behove me to instead of replacing batts with like, invest in upgrade packs, w/one charger, for enhanced longevity batt for longer hours usage...

hit_factor, that concept is what set me off on this ‘holy grail’ quest in the first place...’equipment is olde, technology could be outdated, batts function could be degraded, ad nauseam...’ but that stated, FT60s, from my quickie review, are still being shown as viable, reliable HTs within the ham community, especially during periods of telecommunication disruption from massive weather disturbances.

all this stated...off to do, noaa chirping In the background - ugh! a cost breakout on new unit(s) or new batts w/chgr or maintain equipment status quo...

again many thanks for the info on voltages, new batts, and equivalencies on new HT models...

Off to type lightly on my keyboard...

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar

wa88it

Premium Subscriber
This is the year of batts...i believe my apc ups batt’s have/are failing...

i’m not liking the “new” normal at all:unsure:

sorry didn’t mean to not acknowledge your observation on the ‘70...thanks!

wa88it

Premium Subscriber
Contemplating those w/lithium’s and new charger...but discerned today my puters’ ups batts are shot so $$$ from ham equipment redirected to those replacements...

Status
Not open for further replies.