FT-60R and NOAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

HammerDude

Hey folks!

The specs for the FT-60R says it has the weather alert function for NOAA.
How do I program my unit to receive the alert?

Thanks in advance,
-HammerDude (VA3AVR)

K

kb0nly

Its easy..

F, Menu, rotate knob to WX Alert, tap F, rotate knob to turn on, tap F to go back, tap PTT to exit menu.

Tap the F key and the key with WX above it. That takes you to the WX memories. Tap the PTT button and it goes into scanning through the WX channels and listens for the weather alert tone. You can't program for specific areas, it just keeps the radio muted and scanning the NOAA frequencies looking for the alert tone.

When it gets the alert tone the radio will go BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP, a continuous fast beep and the display will light up and show ALERT. Tap the PTT button to hear the audio or wait and it will unmute at the end of the alert tone, when your done listening to the alert tap the PTT button again to go back to alert scan or just let it time out on its own when it hears the end of alert burst.

You can't scan for the weather alert while also using the radio for other functions... Only one use at a time from what i found using it. During storm season i sleep with it at my bedside, has a lot better receive and louder alert and audio than my weather radio does. The only drawback is i cant program the SAME codes into it so i get watches and warnings for a larger area, but for me its usually nice to hear those warnings because it might be something headed my way that i can get up and be prepared for.

My FT60R has woke me up plenty of times in the summer!

HammerDude

Yep, that's it. I got it and it works. Thanks very much kb0nly.

I have read the manual and finally found it on page 78 but I thought there was more to it. I'm definately not 18 anymore and sometimes I need a little bit more direction to get things going. I got most of the features figured out and always have the manual with me just in case I forget a setting. sigh... nice to be young and know things in an instant. oh well.

73's, HammerDude.

K

kb0nly

Yep, that's it. I got it and it works. Thanks very much kb0nly.

I have read the manual and finally found it on page 78 but I thought there was more to it. I'm definately not 18 anymore and sometimes I need a little bit more direction to get things going. I got most of the features figured out and always have the manual with me just in case I forget a setting. sigh... nice to be young and know things in an instant. oh well.

73's, HammerDude.

Your Welcome!

The FT60R is a pretty simple radio to use after you use it enough. I ain't no spring chicken either, but after owning it for about a year and using the features over and over i was finally able to memorize it all. I still have the manual handy nearby just in case.

K

kb0nly

What is that suppose to mean, kb2vxa??? Not only does your answer not help at all, it leaves a person (like me) stranded looking for direction. In my opinion it would be better not to reply at all. 73's HammerDude

I figured you probably read the manual but didnt fully understand it... But there will always be someone who says that, seems like every scanner question on here also gets at least one reply of read the manual. I know i read the manual and played around with it but i was like so how do i get it to actually monitor muted, then i read it again and figured out that they meant the PTT toggled it on and off. Then we had our first weds of the month test and got it to alert and it was like ah-hah... Now i understand.

HammerDude

Your Welcome!

The FT60R is a pretty simple radio to use after you use it enough. I ain't no spring chicken either, but after owning it for about a year and using the features over and over i was finally able to memorize it all. I still have the manual handy nearby just in case.

Great! So there is hope for me yet ... lol

I'm part of the Cambridge (Ontario) ARES group and we work via the 911 dispatch of our Fire & Rescue department, and it is important for me to remember all the features of this radio so I'm always with my nose in the manual to try out all the features and see what they do. I purchased the FT-60R especially to start off slow and then upgrade to a quad-band.
In the mean time I'm having a blast! -HammerDude

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Originally Posted by HammerDude View Post
What is that suppose to mean, kb2vxa??? Not only does your answer not help at all, it leaves a person (like me) stranded looking for direction. In my opinion it would be better not to reply at all. 73's HammerDude

If I had not asked the question the following would not have been revealed.
"I have read the manual and finally found it on page 78 but I thought there was more to it."
Actually had you not misunderstood my honest question for sarcasm you would have replied in the affirmative, then asked more specific questions regarding what you did not understand. On the other hand had you replied in the negative someone would have started at the bottom but then again someone did anyway and rendered the whole thing moot. The whole idea behind my question was to establish a starting point, sorry you misunderstood.
"I'm definitely not 18 anymore and sometimes I need a little bit more direction to get things going."
We're in the same boat but IMO it's better to synchronize our oars rather than you reaching over and whacking me with yours, don't you think?

HammerDude

Actually had you not misunderstood my honest question for sarcasm you would have replied in the affirmative, then asked more specific questions regarding what you did not understand. On the other hand had you replied in the negative someone would have started at the bottom but then again someone did anyway and rendered the whole thing moot. The whole idea behind my question was to establish a starting point, sorry you misunderstood.
"I'm definitely not 18 anymore and sometimes I need a little bit more direction to get things going."
We're in the same boat but IMO it's better to synchronize our oars rather than you reaching over and whacking me with yours, don't you think?

Gotcha. It is my Dutch nature to respond somewhat impulsively in both speech and write. No harm done. Don't think about it anymore. Burried. My oars are syncronized. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.