ft-60r or vx-7r

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Ft-60

which is a better radio?pros and cons of each?

I Have a FT-60 and this is a GREAT radio, and the price isnt bad either for a 2M/440 Radio. I have been hitting repeaters at impressive distances with just the stock antenna. I also bought a Battery Eliminater for the unit which works well for plugging it into a cig.lighter plug in the car.I Cant comment on the VX-7 only because i have never used one .Im very happy with my FT-60 . OK thats my two cents .Well Enjoy which ever one you pick.

N8IAA

which is a better radio?pros and cons of each?

Best way to find out is to find someone with the FT60, and someone with a VX7 near where you live. Then you can see the differences in person. It sure beats asking in a forum. The forum can only go so far in helping you make the decision:) Hands on is the best way to go. Post in your state forum here on RR. You should be able to find someone to help you in person.
Larry

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I suggest you read the eham reviews on both! Also keep in mind that the vx-7r is a quad band h.t. and the ft-60 is only a dual-band h.t.
n9zas

mrweather

Technically yes. You'll need a much better antenna than what comes with it. AM only. No SSB/CW.

N1BHH

I suggest you read the eham reviews on both! Also keep in mind that the vx-7r is a quad band h.t. and the ft-60 is only a dual-band h.t.
n9zas

eham reviews leave something to be desired because many of those folks are technically challenged. Yeah, they may be hams but there are many of them that are appliance operators. Read the reviews and you'll need to decide if someone is technically inclined or not when describing why they can't get some function working. In other words take it with a grain of salt.

I have the FT-60R and it works great for me. I was thinking about the VX-7R when I was in the market for a hand held, but settled on the FT-60R because I didn't have the need for an HF receiver. Usually when you have a general coverage receiver, the Ham Bands suffer in performance. A number of these FT-60R's were purchased by our radio club for use in Go Kits and they can easily be cloned for various operations. Several of the folks in the club have them as well and we can set them up identically.

Download and read the manuals, this too will help in your decision.

Last edited:

prcguy

I would not say I'm technically challenged and my VX-7 had the worst human interface I have ever encountered. Some of the steps to make changes are senseless and you could never guess them without the manual. The VX-7 should be used as an example of how not to design a radio menu system. Otherwise the RF performance of the VX-7 is very good and the radio is extremely rugged. I traded up to the VX-8 and am very happy with it.
prcguy

eham reviews leave something to be desired because many of those folks are technically challenged. Yeah, they may be hams but there are many of them that are appliance operators. Read the reviews and you'll need to decide if someone is technically inclined or not when describing why they can't get some function working. In other words take it with a grain of salt.

I have the FT-60R and it works great for me. I was thinking about the VX-7R when I was in the market for a hand held, but settled on the FT-60R because I didn't have the need for an HF receiver. Usually when you have a general coverage receiver, the Ham Bands suffer in performance. A number of these FT-60R's were purchased by our radio club for use in Go Kits and they can easily be cloned for various operations. Several of the folks in the club have them as well and we can set them up identically.

Download and read the manuals, this too will help in your decision.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I have a FT-60. I've never used a VX-7, so I can't compare...but I love the FT-60. It's a great radio, very solid feeling. I use a lot of commercial radios as well, and I'd say it feels "almost commercial" in quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.