Yaesu: FT- 70DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Is it way too soon to know much about these, so far? It sounds like they should be available soon. Did they appear at Dayton?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
FT-70R

They were originally supposed to be available before Dayton, but no vendor received any. I asked at the Yaesu booth, and they said I could look at the sample, which I do not believe was a production radio. If they follow the FT-65R path, many of us will be disappointed.

wrath

Well it doesn't have APRS and it it does not do fusion , for the price difference get a ft1xdr for the extra $39, the 70 is a single reciever dual band for $199 makes no sense the ft1 is being sold out cheap when the ft2 is the one people love to hate , i just bought the ft1 instead of the 70R ,after I talked to yaesu and found out how deficient the 70R is i decided $199 for a crippled radio or $239 for the ft1 my mind was made up .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

wrath

How so?

The FT-70DR does System Fusion. That's the point of the "D" in the model number. I don't believe it does WIRES-X which is what you may be referring to.
Yep sorry about that new tongue , wires x!

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
FT-70R

It is supposed to be a simplified version with automatic analog/fusion selection. Wires seems to be somkething many will not miss.

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Frankly, I think I'd be OK with less frequency coverage in a handheld if the receiver was more resistant to intermod. I have other "DC-to-daylight" receivers.

Of the various complaints on eHam, mushy buttons, poor CTCSS decoding, and buggy user interface would be concerns to me.

I had an FT-60 for a while, but sold it. I might have to think about buying another one as it might be the last well-built, utilitarian Yaesu handheld (I have a VX-8GR and an FT-1DR so I have some experience with their later models). I just wish someone would build a solid, reliable handheld that was a true dual-bander. These one-band-at-a-time radios don't turn me on. I long for my FT-530 that was stolen many years ago.

wrath

I'm inclined to agree. I have an FT1D, FTM-100 and FTM-400 and I don't do Wires-X on any of them...
Wires X is just basicly a product relaunch from the HRI 100 of the days of old wires box , it never took off like they wanted , then Icom came out with dstar and Yaesu has gotten the idea that maybe they can re float wires with fusion as wires x.

wrath

To put simply the 70DR is going to be 199.99 radio, yaesu goal with this has been to attract the low end of the radio market ,it's another dual band with a single receiver design , I like my dual banders to be truly dual band am a bit old fashioned in, talking to yaesu they have made it pretty clear that they are trying to lure the CCR crowd into a radio that is there digital Flavor , problem is the radio doesnt have much to offer over a CCR , aside from digital which might be a great thing if you live somewhere with a bunch of fusion machines, but do far in most places the penetration is low and they have already started trying to upgrade clubs from Dr 1 x to the new Dr 2x machines , so much of the market is in flux , there marketing department has been working over time to crank things out , and yaesu is aware of how bizzare this all is considering that the differences between the 70R and the FT 1 is night and day with only $40 seperating the prices between a dual band single reciever and a full function dual band dual reciever radio , technical ( with no one officially confirming this ) but it looks like the FT 1 is going to be sold out and dropped , leaving the 70R entry level and the FT 2 being top off the line, which even the guys at yaesu don't understand because the FT 1 has a lot going for it( as per customer sales and satisfaction) compared to the FT 2 which is pretty much a hated radio , that has some serious problems with the software , one of the major ones is certain settings can be selected that seperately are fine but combined give the appearance of working transmitting radio but it doesn't transmit anything or give any warning that the two settings are incomparable, the FT1 scores a 4.6 in customer likes and reviews, the FT2 gets a 2 ,so it might make sense to marketing, but leaves the rest of us scratching there heads .

wrath

Yaesu over the years has not been known for there manuals quality.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Yaesu manuals

I don't know what manuals you are comparing to, wrath, but in my collection of over 70 transceivers and scanners, Yaesu has far from the worst. Even more important, the FT line has been very consistent in the programming using the keyboard. My FT-11R (1993) and the present FT-60R are virtually identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.