Yaesu: FT-710 HF-6

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Emission Modes: A1A(CW), A3E(AM), J3E(LSB/USB), F3E(FM)
Supply Voltage: DC13.8V ±15%
Power Output: 5 – 100W (5 – 25W AM Carrier)
Dimensions (W x H x D): 9.4” x 3.1” x 9.7” (239 x 80 x 247mm)
Weight (Approx.): 9.92lbs (4.5kg)

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
7300 competitor.
6 years after the fact.

Based on the notice sent to U.S. dealers and the listings on European dealer websites, the only notable feature improvement over the IC-7300 is a video output over DVI-D. If you convert the price on European dealer websites to dollars, you come up with $1050.

From my personal observation, I'm not crazy at the way various control knobs are clustered around the main VFO knob. Looks crowded to me.

Oh, apparently Yaesu sent a memo to its U.S. dealers notifying them that the radio was coming. That memo included a list of features. At least one dealer sent a copy of that memo to a few ham radio YouTubers who then published videos where they essentially read the feature list. The comments on one of those videos are interesting:

1657288677493.png

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
My guess is $999 USD for stateside price, or the $1099 with the $100 discount shenanigans. Anyways, time will tell after it is tested against the 7300 and especially the FTDX10. With fewer buttons on this model one may dig a bit more in the menu, but we shall see what the touchscreen menu offers.

N4DJC

6 years after the fact.

Based on the notice sent to U.S. dealers and the listings on European dealer websites, the only notable feature improvement over the IC-7300 is a video output over DVI-D. If you convert the price on European dealer websites to dollars, you come up with $1050.

From my personal observation, I'm not crazy at the way various control knobs are clustered around the main VFO knob. Looks crowded to me.

Oh, apparently Yaesu sent a memo to its U.S. dealers notifying them that the radio was coming. That memo included a list of features. At least one dealer sent a copy of that memo to a few ham radio YouTubers who then published videos where they essentially read the feature list. The comments on one of those videos are interesting:

View attachment 124045

No argument from me on being late to the party, just my take on why Yaesu introduced a stripped down DX10.

Many thought (or were hopeful) this would be an updated QRP rig replacing the 818.

MDScanFan

I agree that it looks cramped near the VFO. And I do not like Yaesu's trend to put all controls on the right side of the screen. I much prefer the balanced layout that Icom uses.

mastr

Seems to me like like "Yaesu USA Official" has a COB stuck somewhere - maybe frustrated to be 6 years behind.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I would like to see Icom catch up to the Yaesu 991A as they are years behind. I expect that would/should be the next amateur radio we see from them, but old man Icom does not tell me the secrets. I am a fan of shack-n-the-box for the ARRL VHF contest, but that does not suit many others. I definitely enjoy HF+6 radios as well, but many amateur operators do not have multiple radios to suit their operating needs. I would definitely enjoy an Icom 705 100W version.

Anyways, the current price of the FTDX10 gives it a win over the 7300 in my opinion and probably over the FT-710 even if the FTDX10 is only a few hundred more. As noted in the video, the FT-710 will be the watered down version of the FTDX10, but again the current price of the FTDX10 gives it a win over the 7300, so I am unsure as to why the 710 was developed. Yaesu makes the three different watt level versions for the Japanese license class in the FTDX10. ( Yes, button/dial layout and menu system are valid reasons to go with the 7300 instead )

Perhaps a good product for Icom to develop would be an HF/VHF/UHF amplifier one could pair up with the IC-705. Something around 50W would be fine as long as it could handle the duty cycle for FM. That would be fun and I would sell my 991A.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
It's an inflated price for the U.S. market and maybe elsewhere. The actual cost in Japan is less than $1000 and that includes the their 10% sales tax for the 100W version. Yeah, less than $900 there which makes sense for that radio and not $1300.

I noted the 100W version as Japanese amateur license levels limit power output and what bands they can operate on. Thus, there are typically three models of radio offered for HF which are 10W, 50W, and 100W. I could be wrong, but I think that's still current.

El_Kabong

Julian Frost dropped a quick YouTube video last night. Seems Yaesu is including an external speaker for the FT-710 that attaches to the side. That is usually an option.