FT-7900 remote head question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I've looked in the operating manual and online and even e-mailed Yaesu (but no reply yet), so I thought I'd tap into the wealth of knowledge that is the RR.

Is the programming for the 7900R stored in the head or the "main body" of the radio. My sister is in town visiting and we were talking radios (she's studying for her license) and asked me that question a couple of days ago and I must admit, it totally stumped me LOL.

Any information will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

:)

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; UPC300-2.2 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I can tell you with certainty that an FT-8800R stores its settings in the radio itself. A few years ago thieves grabbed the remote head and mike from my vehicle. Replacing the remote head brought it back to life with all the repeaters and function settings that previously were programmed.

I can't imagine the circuitry design would be any different in your radio.

HTH.

Last edited:

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
I own a FT8800 & my brother owns a FT7900, and yes both radios store the info in the main radio & not the remote head. That's the way all of the remote head radios work, as far as I know.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Okay, main body it is. Makes sense.

I was kind of hoping, however, that it might be stored in the head. I've got one 7900 in my house and one in my car. The unit in the car doesn't have all the frequencies programmed in (yet) that the unit in the house does, so I was thinking just pop the remote head off in the house and attach it in the car for a day or two until I get the car unit programmed.

I guess I'll just have to get off my lazy butt and get the programming done. LOL

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the information.

k6cpo

Do you have a laptop computer? If so, invest in a programing cable and software. That way, you can program both radios to exactly the same settings.

I'm like you. I have a FT-7900 as a base station in the house and another in my truck. I have the RT Systems software in my net book and whenever I re-program the radio in the house, I also re-program the radio in the truck.

elk2370bruce

The 7900 also has alolo of the memory in the main body of the rig. I store my main box under the front passenger seat with the remote head in a vacant spot in the front center console.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Do you have a laptop computer? If so, invest in a programing cable and software. That way, you can program both radios to exactly the same settings.

I'm like you. I have a FT-7900 as a base station in the house and another in my truck. I have the RT Systems software in my net book and whenever I re-program the radio in the house, I also re-program the radio in the truck.

Software and cable are going to be my next purchases. Should have bought them when I bought the first 7900.

RadioDaze

I never would have had the patience to program my 7900 without the cable and software. A few repeaters, maybe. But I have numerous fire departments, sheriff departments, etc. for scanning use as well.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

I never would have had the patience to program my 7900 without the cable and software. A few repeaters, maybe. But I have numerous fire departments, sheriff departments, etc. for scanning use as well.

Thankfully, between the 2m and 70cm repeaters in the area, that only added up to around 20 to 22 repeaters. Haven't programmed any public safety frequencies in yet. Probably will have the software and cable by then. Will definitely need them for that task.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
The head is simply a display and controller for the radio, nothing more.

Programming 22 repeaters is pretty easy, and can be done while sitting in your truck in 5-10 minutes, if that is all you are planning on putting in. I used software and a cable because I scan a lot of non-ham things, including hundreds of other frequencies. But for a small number of repeaters like that, I would get out the manual, sit in my truck, and program in them in, and save the money for other ham gear.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Haven't programmed any public safety frequencies in yet.

The head is simply a display and controller for the radio, nothing more.

Programming 22 repeaters is pretty easy, and can be done while sitting in your truck in 5-10 minutes, if that is all you are planning on putting in. I used software and a cable because I scan a lot of non-ham things, including hundreds of other frequencies. But for a small number of repeaters like that, I would get out the manual, sit in my truck, and program in them in, and save the money for other ham gear.

Well, it took me a little longer than 5 to 10 minutes, but only because I was learning as I was programming the first one. Second one has gone a lot faster.

I do plan on programming quite a few public safety frequencies pretty soon (probably somewhere in the neighborhood of a few hundred frequencies, at least), so I can see where the software / cable will be a necessity.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

LtDoc

I think most programming software will recommend -reading- your radio's memory to start with and saving that file as a baseline. It does make good sense. You may never ever use that file again, but it is a starting point for when you 'goof' on some setting, gives you a place to start over.
It sounds sort of odd, but keep notes about changes. Ever forget why you made some particular change?
Have fun.
- 'Doc

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Programming cable showed up in the mail today. The mini CD that came with it was worthless. Didn't include drivers for Windoze 8.1, but was able to find what I needed with a quick Google search.

Should have ordered it when I bought the first 7900. It certainly would have prevented a bunch of headaches, but alas, what's done is done. All I know for sure is that now it will be a breeze to enter all the public safety, business and taxi frequencies that I need to enter.

Status
Not open for further replies.