Yaesu: Ft-840 - my first HF radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesavo

Feed Provider
I earned extra a few months ago. After Field Day and a club special event, I am very excited to setup my shack with my first HF radio.

I bought an ft-840 for $300. I plan to setup an end-fed antenna for 20 meters. If it can also work on 40 meters that would be a bonus. It did not include a tuner. Whether I "need" one or not, I still want to grab a tuner for it. The fc-10 from Yaesu is the tuner that seems meant for this radio. I've seen one sell for over $100 in eBay. Are there other tuners I can use? Should I be looking for other tuners. Does it matter?

I also would like to connect to a logger PC to capture the band I'm using while logging. Do I need to find the serial converter that was also released in the early 90s or is a modern USB all-in-one cable OK to use?

KA9MGC

Premium Subscriber
MFJ and LDG make external tuners that will work with the 840 or any other radio.

I have an FT840 but have never plugged it into a computer since I've had it. It has no sound card built in so you would need either a Signalink USB or the other one, Rigblaster I think it's called for digital modes.

The radio has a 6 pin DIN connector which allows computer control, that should work with the right cable.

You can find the manual online if your radio didn't come with one. I have a PDF copy I found someplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.