Yaesu: Ft-857D getting onto FT8

Status
Not open for further replies.

hershey01

Hi..new to this forum and hoping for some help. I've been trying to get my FT-857D up on FT8 and have been having nothing but trouble...cables, information, whatever...
I am trying to connect to a laptop running Windoze 8.1 Bing... I have the CAT cable from the 857 to the laptop but I think I also need to connect the speaker and mic on the radio to the computer... I just orderd a Sabrent Sound Adaptor and a set of cables to hook it up with...
Looking at the radio manual I can see the speaker/headphone jack on the left side front but the mic plugs into the radio with something other than any kind of standard plug...wondering WHERE to plug into a mic port on the radio? Poured over the drawings in the manual and nothing pops up to me...every time I think I've got it figured, something else pops up..I at one time had the wjst-x software tell me that the 'hamlib' file was missing...but that is apparently another problem unique to wjst-x. I also have DX Commander loaded and it isn't giving me anything useful...
Any help out there?
I feel like a 1G person living in a 5G world... :confused::confused:

n5ims

It is strongly recommended that you use a USB cable that has built-in ferrite chokes (like USB 2.0 A/B Cable, Ferrite Chokes, 3 ft. | Tripp Lite). The typical cheap USB cable will soak up any stray RF and confuse your computer and associated software. The ferrite chokes will help block that RF from flowing from your radio to your computer. Although this link (FT-991 setup for digital modes (with only a USB cable) – N1AV (x-N1RWY) on the air) is for the FT-991A and your menu settings may be different, the basic setup instructions should be similar.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't think the FT-857D has a USB port, so a USB cable isn't going to be much help. Nor will instructions for the FT-991, which does have a USB port, be of much help.

To the OP, you need a sound card radio interface such as a Tigertronics SignaLink USB or a West Mountain Radio RigBlaster. Whatever device you get needs to be able to key the radio's PTT as well as interface audio between the radio and computer. Both companies I listed have cables available that will connect to your radio.

hershey01

I don't think the FT-857D has a USB port, so a USB cable isn't going to be much help. Nor will instructions for the FT-991, which does have a USB port, be of much help.

To the OP, you need a sound card radio interface such as a Tigertronics SignaLink USB or a West Mountain Radio RigBlaster. Whatever device you get needs to be able to key the radio's PTT as well as interface audio between the radio and computer. Both companies I listed have cables available that will connect to your radio.

Thanks for the input.no, it doesn't have a port ..the USB dongle is for the laptop and has two leads coming off of it, one for Tx and one for Rx...I'm going to try that before I go to another piece of gear...I just need to know where to plug in the Tx lead since I can't find a jack for it...the mic plug is some kind of molded gizmo that doesn't pull out, but the Rx would be the Spk/Headset jack on the left front of the unit. I looked at the FT-991 link and it looks like a USB to ethernet plug..can't find any info in the manual about a regular mic plug...

hershey01

:mad::mad: In any event, I'm getting really discouraged...nothing seems to work...my wife asked me the other night when I tried to explain what was happening, 'why don't you just use the radio the old way'?? Indeed, why not? :unsure::unsure:,Sometimes I miss the old days in North Dakota just working contacts from the MARS station on the Radar Base...

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Look at how the SignaLink USB device connects to your radio if you want to build. Otherwise buy it, connect, and enjoy.

hershey01

Ah man, was trying to stay away from $140.....'take a leap, go cheap'....and I guess my leap wasn't long enough... :eek: Looks like I'll have to ''bite the bullet' and order the unit...thanks for the info....

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I just need to know where to plug in the Tx lead since I can't find a jack for it...the mic plug is some kind of molded gizmo that doesn't pull out...
Have you read page 7 in the manual where it talks about how to install the microphone? It's a modular connector like those used on network cables. The jack is hidden behind the front panel, so you have to remove the front panel in order to get to the mic connector.

The discussion of the rear panel connectors starts on page 34. The DATA jack, which is a 6-pin mini-DIN, has receive audio, transmit audio, and PTT. It looks like the SignaLink USB uses that DATA jack to get signals in and out of the radio.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Ah man, was trying to stay away from $140.....'take a leap, go cheap'....and I guess my leap wasn't long enough... :eek: Looks like I'll have to ''bite the bullet' and order the unit...thanks for the info....
You can build it. Just use their diagram to see how it works and how they tie into the unit.

If you do buy it, you can find it for $115 from Gigaparts.

hershey01

Have you read page 7 in the manual where it talks about how to install the microphone? It's a modular connector like those used on network cables. The jack is hidden behind the front panel, so you have to remove the front panel in order to get to the mic connector.

The discussion of the rear panel connectors starts on page 34. The DATA jack, which is a 6-pin mini-DIN, has receive audio, transmit audio, and PTT. It looks like the SignaLink USB uses that DATA jack to get signals in and out of the radio.
No, I didn't...it's been a long time since I put the thing together and I forgot about that..thanks for the heads up! I'll pull the head tomorrow.

hershey01

You can build it. Just use their diagram to see how it works and how they tie into the unit.

If you do buy it, you can find it for $115 from Gigaparts.
Thanks for the lead to Gigaparts...bit cheaper and it's free shipping!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.