Yaesu: FT 8900 Help!

Ishmole

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to make the two receivers in the radio act independently? I know I had this working before where I was scanning one set of preferred channels (public safety) on the left side and ham repeaters on the right side. Now, what ever I do on one side duplicates on the other1. If I skip a channel on the right side, it automatically sets it as skipped on the left. If I set a channel as preferred on the right, it changes on the left to preferred. What am I doing wrong? Is there a setting I am missing?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager
Super Moderator
There is a band linking feature (Menu 43 on an FT-8800, the FT-8900 might similar), but I don't know if it causes the symptom you describe.

As a long shot, I wonder if you are in Hyper Memory mode.

If nothing else, read your memories into a computer and do a full reset on the radio.

Ishmole

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I reset the radio a full reset, and reprogrammed it with the software. Now I get SCNERR on the readout on the right side when I try to delete a channel, or attempt to set it as preferred by pressing the SCN key. The left side is ok. I must be or have done something wrong. Do you know what SCNERR means?
Thanks!

W8WCA

Premium Subscriber
Use the Left side for preferred (You need to start the scan when it is on a preferred channel)
The right side can only scan channels in the 2 M /70 CM bands.
"On the “right” band, Memory Channel scan will only search through the memory chan-
nels which are stored inside the 144 MHz and 430 MHz amateur bands."
From Pg 41 of FT8900 Manual

W8WCA

Premium Subscriber
Also from the Manual: Is this how you are trying to delete a channel?
Deleting Memories
With 808 total memories available, there frequently are situations where you may desire to
delete certain memorized frequencies. The procedure for deleting a channel is quite simple:
1. Press the [ V/M ] key, if needed, to enter the Memory mode.
2. Press and hold in the [ SET ] key for 1/2 second, then rotate the “Main” band DIAL knob
to select the memory channel to be deleted. Note that memory channel #1 may not be
deleted.
3. Press the “Main” band [ SCN ] key momentarily. The display will revert to memory
channel #1. If you rotate the “Main” band DIAL knob to the location you just “Masked,”
you will observe that it is now invisible.