ft-8900 No Receive on 2 Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2VXL

I have an FT-8900 Yaesu and I'm having a problem with the receive on the 2 Meter side. I could transmit but I Can't receive. When Lowing the squelch I could hear the static but no voice. I also reset the whole radio and still the same thing. All other bands are ok, but just the 2 meter. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks
Pat/KC2VXL

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Are you running any other Vhf radios that has its antenna near the 8900? You may have burnt out the front end of the reciever

KC2VXL

Well It was sitting about 5 inches over my FT-897D. The antennas are located outside about 50 feet. But I've tried testing other radio's by using a hand held next to it. You think that might have something to do with it? If so, what should I look for in fixing it.

KC2VXL

Well, I've called Yaesu and they told me to send it in. I could've blown out the preamp for receive. How I don't know. This radio really sat and did nothing for 2 years. I know a shame $450 radio and it's doing nothing. Good thing I found this problem. I was going to sell it on E bay. HIHI. I've loaned it to my friend until he found the radio that he really wanted to get. When we turned it on in my shack to test it, we found the problem.

Thanks for asking
73'S and Happy New Year.
Pat/KC2VXL

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm not sure about the 8900, but I do know that the ft8100/ 8500 has had many instances with front end FET failure. I don't recall the part number since it's been many years since I made that repair, but there is info on this problem on mods.dk - Modifications for radioamateur
It's probably very similiar.

n9zas

jhooten

Common problem on the 8900. The total time out of my shack was 10 days. The repair including shipping back to Yaesu was about $65 if I remember right. They did a complete check up and realign while it was there. Send it to them, it is worth it.

Before someone asks, Because I don't have a service monitor or a hot air rework station.

Status
Not open for further replies.