Yaesu: FT-8900 Scan left and right side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8WCA

I had a FT8800 and I could program Left Side and Right side separately (mostly via RT Sys software)

Now on a FT8900 It does not have Left Side and Right side. (Well not in their software)

So How do I take advantage of Dual Scanning of say; 2 M on one side and 440 on the other side?

(I do not have my FT8900 yet if it falls through I will get s HYS-8900 though I would rather get the Yaesu)

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
I have this radio. You can indeed setup scans on each side, using the VFO mode. Menu #4 needs to be set to BND ON (Band On), and the radio will scan between 137 MHz and 180 MHz for the "2 meter scan", and between 400 MHZ and 480 MHZ for the "70 cm scan". Due to the out of band frequencies that are also scanned (no way to avoid this) there will be frequencies encountered that are constant digital transmissions, so the type of scan will need to be "TIME" rather than "BUSY". Of course, scanning the ham bands will only find where local repeater outputs are, to use these repeaters it will be necessary to enter found frequencies into memories with their offset and access tone (if any).

Hope this helps.

As a side note on this, I noticed that the FT-8900 is now discontinued on ham supply stores. Makes one wonder if service support will also be discontinued.

RBMTS

I'm going to make an assumption that the OP is talking about having separate memory groups for Left Band / Right Band. Guessing that he is trying to setup his scan to listen to his 2m channels on one side and 70CM channels on the other. Unfortunately the 8900 does not have separate memory groups for each side (like some other Yaesu radio do). Thus both sides pull from the same memory bank.

W8WCA

I'm going to make an assumption that the OP is talking about having separate memory groups for Left Band / Right Band. Guessing that he is trying to setup his scan to listen to his 2m channels on one side and 70CM channels on the other. Unfortunately the 8900 does not have separate memory groups for each side (like some other Yaesu radio do). Thus both sides pull from the same memory bank.
That is correct RBMTS

I will just set up one side to scan 2M - 440 and the other will park on some frequency like 146.52
I sure liked my FT8800 better ! (But sold it a good while ago)

hill

Premium Subscriber
You could set up memory banks if this is a option on this radio.

Put the 2m in one bank and 70cm in the other.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Can set up PREFERENTIAL MEMORIES thus enabling only scanning memory frequencies that are desired. Although both of these will be same on both sides, each side can be set up to scan or not scan PM. Thus each side can scan all MEMORY frequencies, or only PM.

W8WCA

Could not get the FT-8900 I was trying for:

So I bought a HYS TC-8900 off of Ebay (USA ship from location)

More to follow On it!

Status
Not open for further replies.