Yaesu: FT-8900R can't operate panel keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

haohu

Hi experts,
I just found an issue with my FT-8900R. Some keys on the mic, MH-48 are not working. So I press 'v/m' and 'Power on' then select 'All Reset'. After reboot, all of the keys on the panel are not working. I can only change frequency by the knob. But can't press it to change main side. Do you have some experience like that? Or can you help me to confirm that is main device issue or panel issue?

Thank you very much!

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
Hi experts,
I just found an issue with my FT-8900R. Some keys on the mic, MH-48 are not working. So I press 'v/m' and 'Power on' then select 'All Reset'. After reboot, all of the keys on the panel are not working. I can only change frequency by the knob. But can't press it to change main side. Do you have some experience like that? Or can you help me to confirm that is main device issue or panel issue?

Thank you very much!
I have 3 FT-8900's; one that works great, the other 2 have developed a mind of their own. I have similar issues like yours. Sometimes they will just start scanning by themselves, with the buttons not working on the radio or the mic (also tried a different mic). I tried the reset with no luck; I'm going to try tinkering with the inside to look for any loose solder joints/cable issues. Other times they work just fine, which is few and far in between. You're the first person that I've heard that has similar issues. If I find anything internal in the radio, I'll post my findings.

Rich

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I'd look to cleaning the RJ-series mic connector first and possibly replacing the mic cable. I'd also open up the case and control head and give it a good, but careful, blow out and inspection for corroded/bad solder joints and obviously failing components (like budging capacitators).

haohu

I have 3 FT-8900's; one that works great, the other 2 have developed a mind of their own. I have similar issues like yours. Sometimes they will just start scanning by themselves, with the buttons not working on the radio or the mic (also tried a different mic). I tried the reset with no luck; I'm going to try tinkering with the inside to look for any loose solder joints/cable issues. Other times they work just fine, which is few and far in between. You're the first person that I've heard that has similar issues. If I find anything internal in the radio, I'll post my findings.

Rich

Appreciate for your reply. Actually I also haven't found more similar issues via google... I'm preparing exam and maybe find a reseller then try to locate which part of device make this problem. Hope those radio shops still open because some of them closed these years, and my city COVID lock down few months this year...

haohu

I'd look to cleaning the RJ-series mic connector first and possibly replacing the mic cable. I'd also open up the case and control head and give it a good, but careful, blow out and inspection for corroded/bad solder joints and obviously failing components (like budging capacitators).

Thank you. I've tried clean up the main body and panel when the mic not working. Even include clean up all RJ sockets and re-plug flat wire in the panel. I haven't find any obvious solder joints by eyes. So maybe I need to find another 8900R try to replace main body/panel to locate which part make this issue...

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
@haohu --So much for the basic steps. In my last post, I forgot to suggest cleaning/blowing out the mic as well.
Have you tried calling Yaesu to see if they have any thoughts on this? The FT-8900, like my FT-8800 is getting along in years, so it may be difficult to get replacement parts.

KB0VWG

Hi experts,

Thank you very much!

Might want to look for a stuck button on the mic, Sometimes p1,p2,p3,p4 get stuck and then other buttons wont work.
kb0vwg

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I would suspect a dying or faulty Q1067, which is an Atmel AT14C128N serial EEPROM that does save state operations and memory in the rig. Like all EEPROMs, they have a finite life. When they start vomiting, erratic operation of these radios occurs. If there isn't an obvious hardware failure with the panel and mike, I would try swapping a new one in. They are fairly cheap and common. Here's a link to the service manual:

haohu

I would suspect a dying or faulty Q1067, which is an Atmel AT14C128N serial EEPROM that does save state operations and memory in the rig. Like all EEPROMs, they have a finite life. When they start vomiting, erratic operation of these radios occurs. If there isn't an obvious hardware failure with the panel and mike, I would try swapping a new one in. They are fairly cheap and common. Here's a link to the service manual:

Thank you so much for the hint~ I just connect back to the battery on my car two days ago and still have this issue. Cause the buttons fail and even can't be reseted again, I guess your opinion should be correct. Is that I just find a same EEPROM chip to replace Q1067 or I may need to do some other steps to fix it? I'm plan to try it after few days when I finish my certification exam...

haohu

Might want to look for a stuck button on the mic, Sometimes p1,p2,p3,p4 get stuck and then other buttons wont work.
kb0vwg

Thanks for your reply. It seems that all of buttons ain't work... even I can't reset again without mic plug in.

Status
Not open for further replies.