FT-8900R in 2011 Hyundai Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.

djeplett

Hello all,

Here are some photos of my radio install in my new 2011 Elantra. I'm leasing it, so the criteria for the install was as follows:

1) No holes in the bodywork.
2) No holes in the dash.
3) Be careful when running wires as busted panels would ruin your day.

I searched all over the interior for a good location for the radio. Short of using a gooseneck floor mount there is no other place to go on this model. I finally decided on making a custom metal bracket and mounting the control head overhead in a sunglass compartment. The sunglass compartment can be popped back in when I turn the car in. The bracket uses two screws that mount the compartment to the ceiling.

I decided not to have the mic hang down as there really was no good place to put a mic clip overhead and I didn't like the idea of a mic cord swinging around anyway. So I remote mounted the microphone connection to a coupler on the dash.

I also wanted to run APRS but I wanted to be able to switch between two different transmitted packets. That meant having to put two switches somewhere on the dash. I ended up putting them in the glove box because that way the holes I drilled in the side of the glovebox shouldn't be noticed so easily when I turn the car in.

Lastly, I needed a place to put the external speaker as the radio itself was mounted under the back deck of the trunk. There are a couple little plastic flip doors on the back deck of this car that cover the child safety seat anchor points. I drilled a couple holes in the center flip cover and mounted the speaker to it. If somebody notices the holes when I turn the car in I can always buy a new flip door and replace the old one but I doubt anybody will notice them as well.

The antenna and GPS are mag mounted to the rear trunklid.

Attachments

• overhead.jpg
    overhead.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 5,483
  • mic location.jpg
    mic location.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 4,725
  • switches.jpg
    switches.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 4,668
  • speaker.jpg
    speaker.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 4,625
  • wiring.pdf
    39.8 KB · Views: 640
Last edited:

jmich2001

Premium Subscriber
Very Nice, the rear deck spkr is a nice touch. I remember all the old police cars used to mount their speakers there.

djeplett

It sounds nice back there, too. And that made running the wire to it nice and easy because the radio is right below it and the wire goes under the flip lid and there was a hole through to the trunk there already. Doesn't get any easier.

djeplett

LOL. Here ya go. From left to right... Sirius satellite, workman 5" mag mount with Radiall-Larsen NMO270B, Byonics GPS2.

I plan on upgrading the NMO270 to a tribander so I can work 6M when I want. Anybody have any experience with a Diamond CR627BNMO or a Comet SB14? (I'd need an adapter with the SB14 I know.)

Attachments

• antennas.jpg
    antennas.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 5,083

djeplett

Thanks much! This is by far the most complicated install I've ever attempted. I'm sure there are professional installers that go through this on a daily basis. But I'm really pleased how it turned out. And I didn't crack one panel which is impressive in Wisconsin in January. ;)

CommJunkie

I like the remote mic idea. What did you use to couple them? Just a phone wire, or did you have to crimp the wires yourself?

djeplett

The 6pin cable you use needs to be wired like this:
1-6
2-5
3-4
4-3
5-2
6-1
Because the coupler reverses it again and it ends up being a straight through run. I think most 6pin cables (like the Rat Shack #279-422) are wired straight through like this:
1-1
2-2
3-3
4-4
5-5
6-6
So then with a coupler it won't work. I have an RJ crimper that does 4, 6 and 8 pin modular plugs so I just made my cable runs the exact length I needed and wired them accordingly. But as long as you buy a cable the correct way you shouldn't need a crimper. Where can you get a cable like that? Don't know.

fineshot1

LOL. Here ya go. From left to right... Sirius satellite, workman 5" mag mount with Radiall-Larsen NMO270B, Byonics GPS2.

I plan on upgrading the NMO270 to a tribander so I can work 6M when I want. Anybody have any experience with a Diamond CR627BNMO or a Comet SB14? (I'd need an adapter with the SB14 I know.)

I have a Comet SB-14 on my 2000 Chevy Impala LS and it works great - especially good on 6 meters.
It is the best triband antenna I have ever owned. I use it with an Icom IC-900A with all band units so it
saves me a lot of real estate on the vehicle. I also have an SB-97(2mtrs/70cm/23cm) and that also
works great. I have a 2nd & 3rd rig, an Icom ID-800H and a Motorola MCS2000 900Mhz in the mix
as well. The MCS2000 runs to a Larsen 902-928Mhz stacked 5/8 wave N mount antenna, all of the
other antennas are NMO mounts. I guess you could say I am radio active, lol.

EDIT: Oh, also have an old Motorola 30Mhz base loaded antenna for 10 meters and a Hustler SF-220
for the 222 band.

Last edited:

djeplett

I have a Comet SB-14 on my 2000 Chevy Impala LS and it works great - especially good on 6 meters. It is the best triband antenna I have ever owned.
Cool. Thanks for the input. I think it's going to be one of those two and I'm thinking the SB14 would be nice since it's only 43 in. tall. Good to know it performs at that length.

I also have a Motorola MCS2000 900Mhz in the mix as well. The MCS2000 runs to a Larsen 902-928Mhz stacked 5/8 wave N mount antenna.
How hard was it to convert that radio over to 33cm?

Oh, also have an old Motorola 30Mhz base loaded antenna for 10 meters.
I have a Wilson 1000 mag mount cut for 11M right now, but it's going to be shortened up for 10M FM.

fineshot1

How hard was it to convert that radio over to 33cm?

Nothing needs to get done to the MCS2000 - its a cps software hack to change the band
limits. I did not do the cps hack, someone else with much more experience did that for me.
I tried and fouled it up as I am not so savy when it comes to that.

tbigelow

Nice job.

How did you run the wiring from the sunglass holter to the trunk? I was a little leary of using the posts since they all have SRS logos on them.

djeplett

Thanks. I ran the wire behind the front of the headliner along the top of the windshield, over to the corner plastic trim that comes up the A post. Then around the trim and over to the door edge rubber. Then I tucked it under that rubber all the way down to the floor sill. Then under the floor sill all the way to the back seat. I went through the area between the back seat and the side of the back in between where the seat folds down. There is a tad bit showing near the corner there inside the trunk but no bother as you almost have to look for it. Then up along the plastic piece in the trunklid.

I'm sure it's tough to visualize so I can try to make a video with my phone and point where it went if you need it. Send me a PM with your email address and I can send it to you if you need it.

N8IAA

Thanks. I ran the wire behind the front of the headliner along the top of the windshield, over to the corner plastic trim that comes up the A post. Then around the trim and over to the door edge rubber. Then I tucked it under that rubber all the way down to the floor sill. Then under the floor sill all the way to the back seat. I went through the area between the back seat and the side of the back in between where the seat folds down. There is a tad bit showing near the corner there inside the trunk but no bother as you almost have to look for it. Then up along the plastic piece in the trunklid.

I'm sure it's tough to visualize so I can try to make a video with my phone and point where it went if you need it. Send me a PM with your email address and I can send it to you if you need it.

If you haven't gotten an antenna for the 8900 yet. The MFJ quad band antenna allows 10m ops too.
Larry

tbigelow

No I don't need a vid but thanks, cool idea. I've a 2010 and know exactly what you mean. It looks great. I haven't decided if I want to mount the radio in the trunk or just on the left side of the passenger seat. It's a commute car with very few passenger miles.

Did you run the mic extension the same way and then under to console to your mounting spot?

Also, did you use the fender well and grommet by the plug box on the drivers side to bring power?

Thanks again, Troy

N5TWB

Well executed, especially the sunglass comparment mount for the control head and everything that entailed.

Not a criticism but a question on the choice of mag mount vs. permanent mount due to having a leased vehicle: isn't there a high likelihood of scratches in the finish at the location of the mag mount due to small dust particles between the mount and the surface? Wouldn't these also be a concern to the leasing company at turn-in time? Did the leasing company provide specific guidance on how appearance issues would be reflected in the turn-in value?

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
I like the remote mic idea. What did you use to couple them? Just a phone wire, or did you have to crimp the wires yourself?

Or Yaesu also includes the mic extension components as part of the YSK-8900 separation kit, which most retailers include free with the purchase of an FT-8800R or FT-8900R.

Status
Not open for further replies.