FT-897d - How to exit menu *without* saving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rastaman147

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

The new rig arrived arrived today, and I've been playing with it for the last 6 hours or so.

I've been going through the manual, checking out the menu options and changing some settings like LCD color and brightness. No problems with "user preference" type settings like those, but eventually, I'll find myself in a menu where I move some critical setting without remembering the original setting, and I would really like to know how to just "escape" before getting myself in trouble.

Holding the F button for one second saves and exits, but what if I just want to exit without saving?

I know there has to be a way to do this, but I'll be damned if it's posted anywhere on the web or in the user manual.

Thanks!

nanZor

mancow has it - that's been the only way I've been able to exit the menu structure without saving.

The 857 / 897 come out of the box wide open, sometimes leading one to think that the receive audio on ssb is extremely hissy. May I suggest the following as a starter setting to stop the ear-bleed:

DSP HPF Cutoff: 280
DSP LPF Cutoff: 2450

[DBF] In order to actually use the dsp settings above, [DBF] must be enabled, and is done via the C button. Hit menu, rotate knob until dbf is displayed and toggle the C button to put brackets around [DBF]. Once you are sure [DBF] is enabled, you can go back into the menu structure and when you change the rx Cutoff frequencies, you'll actually hear the change.

If you don't like having to tweak your rx filter offset all the time (triangular up/down skew), perhaps start with these in the menu structure:

CAR LSB R +200
CAR USB R -200

Of course you can tweak these to your liking, but at first I thought I was going to have to live with a hissy / bad audio rig. Not so as long as [DBF] is toggled on and you have set your frequencies to your liking.

Take advantage of the three provided user-programmable keys. This will bring seldom-used menu options to the front abc keys, or group more commonly used functions together to your liking.

Last edited by a moderator:

mancow

Database Admin
Thanks. Those settings did help quite a bit to clear up the ear piercing hiss.

Rastaman147

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I guess having to power off the rig is not the end of the world.

Thanks for the audio tips -- For right now, I am FM receive only (which sounds excellent). I am waiting for a few more connectors to arrive, and hopefully I can get an HF antenna up in the next week or so, and I will keep this in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.