Yaesu: FT-991 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexTAC

I just got an Ft-991A a few hours ago. I only have it connected to a VHF/UHF antenna for now but was surprised how easy it was to connect to a fusion wires-x repeater. Programmed the repeater, set it for C4FM mode, hit the fusion button and viola …. Talked to a guy in Italy just south of the Alps for a few minutes from Dallas. Can’t wait to put up the HF antenna.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Moderator edit: This post partially copied from FT-60 thread here: Yaesu: - WIRES-X Connection with Yaesu FT-60

@TexTAC As you found out, it really is easy. Also know that with either the FT2DR or FT3DR handheld you can connect to the network via RF like you did with the 991A to a linked Fusion repeater - or - with a particular cable and a Windows computer, you can directly connect either of those handhelds to the Fusion network and into a room or a direct connection to another node via the Internet.

Last edited by a moderator:

TexTAC

Regarding DTMF codes, does anyone know if the 991a can generate them without buying the special mic? There is a repeater near me that will parrot a signal report back if you key in the correct DTMF code. I am also wondering if just dialing a phone near my mic when I am keyed up will generate the codes as well.

Firekite

Regarding DTMF codes, does anyone know if the 991a can generate them without buying the special mic? There is a repeater near me that will parrot a signal report back if you key in the correct DTMF code. I am also wondering if just dialing a phone near my mic when I am keyed up will generate the codes as well.
That’s a pretty cool feature I don’t think I’ve come across personally. And it’s a great question about being able to use a phone into a keyed mic. Did you experiment with it? Care to share your results? The DTMF tones are the same as on a landline phone, and hopefully smartphone makers aren’t dumb enough to deviate from that.

TexTAC

The volume on my cellphone DTMF tones is not loud enough. However, I found a free online DTMF code generator and it works. On the K5RWK repeater in Richardson TX (147.120) if you key up, send *512, unkey, wait for courtesy tone, then key up and talk for 10 secs and unkey it will give you a detailed signal report and replay your transmission. Very cool.

Here’s a video on how it works. He uses a built-in DTMF generator but I have to use the online generator and put my cellphone near the mic on my 991A.

Last edited:

Firekite

The volume on my cellphone DTMF tones is not loud enough. However, I found a free online DTMF code generator and it works. On the K5RWK repeater in Richardson TX (147.120) if you key up, send *512, unkey, wait for courtesy tone, then key up and talk for 10 secs and unkey it will give you a detailed signal report and replay your transmission. Very cool.

Here’s a video on how it works. He uses a built-in DTMF generator but I have to use the online generator and put my cellphone near the mic on my 991A.

That is super cool. I’ll have to remember that next time I’m in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.