Yaesu: FT-991A Slow USB Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

djeplett

Anyone ever have trouble with slow programming and firmware updates on an FT-991A or even an FT-991?

Using the latest RT Systems software and Silicon Labs drivers on a Windows 10 PC it takes just over 2 minutes to program memories and menu settings. It took over 3 hours to update the latest TFT firmware.

RT Systems is out of ideas and Yaesu will be soon. Just curious if anyone else has had this issue.

You name it, I've tried it.

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
The DSP update took less than 3 minutes. After I did the CPU reset, it took 3 1/2 minutes for RT Systems to send the memory channel and menu settings back to the radio with the port and radio set at 9600 baud. It's never been really quick, typically taking about that long.

2020-07-08-FT991A.jpg

djeplett

The DSP update took less than 3 minutes. After I did the CPU reset, it took 3 1/2 minutes for RT Systems to send the memory channel and menu settings back to the radio with the port and radio set at 9600 baud. It's never been really quick, typically taking about that long.
This is interesting as that's about how long it takes my radio if I set it to that speed. At 38400 baud it will take just over 2 minutes. Maybe my rig is fine. Yaesu says it should be faster and so does RT Systems and I would expect USB to be much better considering scanners I have that are 10+ year old technology take less than 1/4 that amount of time.

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
Yeah it is slow for modern era USB equipment.. I changed my radio and PC baud rate to 38400 and it still took almost 3 minutes.

I do have a lot of frequencies programmed into the memory channels so that probably affects the data transfer rate as well.

djeplett

Yeah it is slow for modern era USB equipment.. I changed my radio and PC baud rate to 38400 and it still took almost 3 minutes.

I do have a lot of frequencies programmed into the memory channels so that probably affects the data transfer rate as well.
Have you set it up for any digital modes and if so, does it perform well? I just got the rig and when the TFT firmware update took as long as it did I hesitated to bother setting it up any further, thinking possibly something is wrong.

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
Have you set it up for any digital modes and if so, does it perform well?

Yes, I've made several hundred HF FT8 contacts with my FT991A and a GAP Challenger DX-VIII antenna. Close to 900 actually,
on every HF band, including 60m. Most were on 20m, and I've WAS on 20m FT8. Many are on 6m. A few on 2m and 70cm just
to try it out with another local ham.
I've run it hard too, most of the time over 75 watts, and often 100 watts. My furthest were contacts from NC to New Zealand and
Australia on FT8.

If you get into FT8, make sure you check out GridTracker by N0TTL. It's awesome!

I've had my FT991A since February 2018 and it's performed flawlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.