Yaesu: FT-DX10

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Why game over?

Looks like the initial price will be about $1800 (the Euro price converted to US dollars). That's considerably more than the current street price of a new IC-7300. Yes, the price will come down. But, how many IC-7300s have been sold and are in use and how many more will be sold until the price of this new radio comes down.

Aside from price, what does the Ftdx-10 offer than the IC-7300 doesn't have?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
My concern is production quality. I know of 5 people with 991's that have various issues, the most common being microphones going bad, and Yaesu apparently isn't in a hurry to replace them, citing the COVID excuse. At least they have a 3 year warranty from the factory. That being said, the 7300 is priced competitively and has a solid history so far.

KE0GXN

Why game over?

Looks like the initial price will be about $1800 (the Euro price converted to US dollars). That's considerably more than the current street price of a new IC-7300. Yes, the price will come down. But, how many IC-7300s have been sold and are in use and how many more will be sold until the price of this new radio comes down.

Aside from price, what does the Ftdx-10 offer than the IC-7300 doesn't have?

Tongue and cheek comment on my part OM...

But I’ll give it a whirl for you. As we all know the big three among others, like to get top dollar upon initial release of all their radios. So no surprise there with the current street price of $1800 or (I have actually read maybe up to $2,000) is par for the course with this hobby. Icom was the first, so yeah they sold them like hot cakes upon initial release. So I don’t expect the 10 to be flying off the shelves like the 7300 did. As you say, lots of folks already have a 7300 or maybe a flavor of SDR in their shack at this point in time.

I will also throw this out there, the 7300 is the most used radio being sold right now, folks are off loading them like hot cakes, which I find interesting, considering to some it is the best “affordable” radio out there....then why are people off loading them so much? And yes, I have heard all the excuses, upgrading to the 7610, I bought it and it just sits around unused, yada, yada....:rolleyes: You would think folks would want to keep a hold of such an “awesome radio“, but digress...

I have actually read of some issues with the 7300 (barn door front-end), but that is neither here nor there. I am sure we could find faults with any radio if we look hard enough.

As for feature set vs the 7300, I’ll let the Sherwoods of the world speak on that. I am just glad we have competition among the manufacturers. We’ll see how things shake out. As for me, the overtime shifts and the saving has begun. ;)

Last edited:

KE0GXN

My concern is production quality. I know of 5 people with 991's that have various issues, the most common being microphones going bad, and Yaesu apparently isn't in a hurry to replace them, citing the COVID excuse. At least they have a 3 year warranty from the factory. That being said, the 7300 is priced competitively and has a solid history so far.

Yes, you are correct, the 991 has had a troubled history, among other issues. But that is why it is important for one to due their due diligence before pulling the trigger of specific models. Took me a long while of researching before I settled on my 450D. Yeah its not as fancy as many other radios, but the history has been solid and I have now owned it going 4 years now with zero issues And have worked the world with it with simple (very comprising) wire antennas.

Unless you can afford it, I would never advocate to be a initial release buyer of any radio. Always good to let it get some track history first and get any kinks worked out. It will take me several months before I can afford to pull the trigger on this radio upgrade, so I’ll just sit back, stash that cash and see what see what happens with this rig, while I work the world with what I already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.