FT:How to do a safe trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom1131

any suggestions on how to do a trade if you have to ship your item....how can you protect yourself

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
phantom1131 said:
any suggestions on how to do a trade if you have to ship your item....how can you protect yourself
Get the other partys information and try to verify it, make sure that the shipping is all confirmed and registered. Just make sure that you have everything planned, their shipping dates and expected arrive dates. and phone them if it doesnt work

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Deal with someone you trust. If it's too far away to drive to "collect" if things go wrong, then I won't do the deal. I can only remember two trades I have done though, one here and one on batlabs (a repeat trader too).

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
As much as I hate paypal (I lost money through them and they didn't do anything other then send me automated emails saying too bad here are tips to avoid fraud)
they are one of the best methods

Make sure the user has a confirmed address (a paypal thing that confirms thier address)
And you have one to or else they wont protect you.
also when they say they will protect you UP TO $300 it means just that UP TO ... That could mean $10. You will have to read all their protection policys

trade

1. Get the look at their post, date joined, threads, email address.
2. Get all info such as name, address, phone/cell.
3. Do a search in google with some keywords from their name/user/address.
4. Go onto google maps and look up the address. sat image
5. Go onto switchboard.com and look up their phone number.
6. Run their name in crime or offender databases (free)
7. Open communication is a must
8. Paypal is ok, money orders take to long to get the money back if its stolen or lost.
Send money orders USPS pri mail with tracking too.
9. Confirm all info.
10. Ship USPS pri mail 2-3 with tracking/del confirmation and for extra back up and to be
safer do the signature confirmation
11. Dont delete PM at all between you and the seller.
12. Keep all paper work
13. Track package via usps tracking website

If it sounds to good to be true it may not be true ;)

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
sorry you said trade not purchase...
7586's ideas are good...

to add call them talk to them on the phone..

if they dont have any feedback ask them to ship to you first and when you get it
you will send your item to them

phantom1131

i guess i should have clarified..i appreciate the obvious and understand there is not much you can do other than previously stated..just wondering what people have done on here with a trade...i guess it just comes down to trust..thanks

My trade. I do all of the above. Like stated by TorontoKris, if they dont have feedback they send first. Its called send to recieve. You send first, I recieve, I send, you recieve, trade complete. And always have their local police department phone number on hand, plus the internet crime hot line. (***some police dept dont get involved***)

Sounds like too much.......but it keeps you safe and covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.