Ft. Worth 146.94 during severe wx

Status
Not open for further replies.

K5MAR

In the area tonight, and I was listening to the net on 146.94 during the severe weather earlier. My question is, what's with the morse ID after EVERY transmission? If I had to listen to that every time there was severe weather it would drive me crazy(er)!

Mark S.

nd5y

Unless they changed it recently, when they run a net the courtesy tone changes to "R" and it periodically says "RACES"

kd5knr

Premium Subscriber
nd5y said:
Unless they changed it recently, when they run a net the courtesy tone changes to "R" and it periodically says "RACES"

I've been told that it now says "RACES" while in "RACES" mode. I wouldn't know for sure, not knowing code.

Billy

K5MAR

It's annoying at best, a time-waster at worst, but it's y'alls machine. This is the first time I've been down this way during severe wx in years, so I hadn't heard it before. The 145.410 machine in OKC that's sponsored by the Okla. Dept. of Civil Emergency Management, which is what the Norman FO uses, changes to a courtesy tone of the morse code for W, and wiil voice announce "severe weather" or something like that every 10 minutes or so. Sending a long ID of any kind after each transmission seems a bit over the top, IMHO.

Mark S.

n5hyh

DFW Skywarn

Apparently people were too stupid to know that * - * as a courtesy tone means a RACES net is operating. Dozens of people would hop on the repeater in-between the conversations between spotters and the national weather service and ask if there was a RACES net up. So to make sure people know a RACES net is activated they now send RACES in Morse code as a courtesy tone. Its too much CW on the repeater I can't listen to it.

I just listen to 92 out of Denton, their repeater has better coverage in Northeast part of Tarrant county, a normal courtesy tone and I like the way their ARES Skywarn net runs much better than the RACES net on 94.

Ron

K5MAR

Thanks for the tip, Ron. I'll give that machine a try the next time.

Where I'm at in Oklahoma, I use two different nets. The net out of OKC/Norman is a liaison net, spotters are supposed to report on their local freqs, with the 145.410 machine and it's linked repeaters used to funnel the filtered reports to the mets at the Norman FO. The radio at the Norman FO is monitored by the mets on duty, so they don't have time to deal with every Tom, Dick and Harry spotter. They will, however, take reports from individual spotters and chasers on breaking events, and answer questions, as well as give periodic updates.

The network of linked repeaters for the Tulsa FO is operated in a different manner. The radio at the Tulsa FO is manned by trained net control operators who have access to radar much as the mets do. They take reports directly and pass them on to the mets on duty. I assumed that the Fort Worth FO did something similiar to this, but apparently not. Listening to the .94 net the other night was an experience in different procedures. I learn something new every day, it seems.

Mark S.

bwillcox

Denton Co. Skywarn Protocol.

The Denton 146.92 repeater will go from the normal three tone bubble-up to a single 1400 hz beep in Skywarn mode, and will announce "Skywarn Net" over the required 10 minute CW ID.

There are remote receivers in Flower Mound, Slidell, and near Celina along with the main site in Denton, so the system hears just about as well as it talks.

The Skywarn net is run in ARES protocol, which means that anyone that is a trained spotter can contribute reports, unlike the RACES nets used in Dallas and Tarrant Counties, where they WILL NOT take your report unless you have a RACES number or a life-threatening emergency.

The NWS usually has a radio listening to the repeater if there is active severe weather in the county, and we really appreciate those amateurs that take time to help out at the NWS.

Just wait for the courtesy beep (to avoid doubles) and please listen to guidance from Net Control is all we ask.

73 de KD5WYU

Status
Not open for further replies.