Yaesu: Ft3d low mic audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhernan488

Hello, I keep having people tell me my mic audio is really low, I set my other radios up and did some test. It's very quiet, mic gain I changed from 5 to 6 to 7.. all the way up. Its a little better, I have to be specific on where I speak (which other radios I don't have too) I have to speak to the left side and low of the radio (where the mic is) to get it a wee bit better. Anyone else have the issue, is this just how the radio is?

When i plug my external mic in, it sounds just like my uv5rs.

Spending the amount of money that this radio cost, makes me feel like I may have a bad internal mic.

N4DJC

It's due to the weather sealing from what I can see, with an immersion rating they seal it up pretty tight. The speaker doesn't sound as good as many other radios either.

The best method I've found is to talk across the mic. Getting too close doesn't help at all, it just distorts the audio. I had some guys on a local repeater help with my technique, I don't talk very loud anyway so I'm probably not a good example. I sound the same on a Kenwood D710 (recorded through the repeater) as I do on the Yaesu.

I don't seem to be having too many problems getting heard on the SO-50 satellite.

Jhernan488

It's due to the weather sealing from what I can see, with an immersion rating they seal it up pretty tight. The speaker doesn't sound as good as many other radios either.

The best method I've found is to talk across the mic. Getting too close doesn't help at all, it just distorts the audio. I had some guys on a local repeater help with my technique, I don't talk very loud anyway so I'm probably not a good example. I sound the same on a Kenwood D710 (recorded through the repeater) as I do on the Yaesu.

I don't seem to be having too many problems getting heard on the SO-50 satellite.
So are you saying to turn my radio to its side then speak?

Some people say it's great. Then some people say they can't hear me at all.

I'll see if I can upload the sound of me on the so50. That someone sent me, It's pretty quiet. Listen for k7EVH. The audio file has a line through it, so i don't know if it will post or not. The file won't up load. If you message me your email. I'll send it that way so you can hear what I'm talking about

Last edited:

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I have had this problem with three Yaesu radios that are submersible. There is a piece of foam over the mic element to seal it. I suppose you can open the radio and remove it, but I just turn up the mic gain.

Jhernan488

I have had this problem with three Yaesu radios that are submersible. There is a piece of foam over the mic element to seal it. I suppose you can open the radio and remove it, but I just turn up the mic gain.
I might just do that.

I talked to HRO to swap it out and they said I needed to contact the company directly. but I just got it from them like a week ago. I'm begenning to not like buying stuff from HRO anymore.

N4DJC

So are you saying to turn my radio to its side then speak?

Some people say it's great. Then some people say they can't hear me at all.

I'll see if I can upload the sound of me on the so50. That someone sent me, It's pretty quiet. Listen for k7EVH. The audio file has a line through it, so i don't know if it will post or not. The file won't up load. If you message me your email. I'll send it that way so you can hear what I'm talking about

Sorry I should have been more clear in the description, just don't talk directly into the mic. Mine sounded about the same on my D74, again I don't speak very loudly (even my wife says that). Also talk with someone on simplex for a report.

Last edited:

N4DJC

I might just do that.

I talked to HRO to swap it out and they said I needed to contact the company directly. but I just got it from them like a week ago. I'm begenning to not like buying stuff from HRO anymore.

Very few online dealers will accept returns/exchanges on equipment (unless it's DOA), without a 15% restocking fee, if at all. It's just the way it is. I'm not defending them, I had a big issue with them last year.

Jhernan488

Very few online dealers will accept returns/exchanges on equipment (unless it's DOA), without a 15% restocking fee, if at all. It's just the way it is. I'm not defending them, I had a big issue with them last year.
Ahhh okay. I was thinking thats how they are. Makes sense.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Check to be sure that the radio is not set to half deviation (6.25Khz) this would make the audio seem low to anyone with full deviation.

Kaleier1

I might just do that.

Whoever you talked to is not telling the truth.

From the HRO webste - "Defective items may be returned for an exchange, return or upgrade within 10 days of the purchase date. Non-defective items returned within 10 days for credit or refund will be subject to a minimum 15% re-stocking fee".

It doesn't say anything about DOA, just defective. You feel you have a defective mic and reports you are getting appear to confirm that and I tend to agree. I have seen brand new microphones being bad when tested before being installed in radios. They will output audio but at a lower lever, sometimes half as much as a good microphone. I have seen radio review comparisons where waterproof radios audio levels were not as high as those not waterproofed but yours sounds extreme.

I would contact HRO, point out their website policy on defective items and ask for a refund or exchange (I'd probably ask for a refund and buy it elsewhere if the price is the same or have them price match HRO) and if they won't dispute the charge with your credit company or Paypal, whichever you used to pay. You might want to tell HRO that is what you are going to do as it might get them to follow their policy and save you a little time and hassle filing a dispute.

Kaleier1

HRO's policy is - Defective items may be returned for an exchange, return or upgrade within 10 days of the purchase date.

Hit_Factor

Hello, I keep having people tell me my mic audio is really low, I set my other radios up and did some test. It's very quiet, mic gain I changed from 5 to 6 to 7.. all the way up. Its a little better, I have to be specific on where I speak (which other radios I don't have too) I have to speak to the left side and low of the radio (where the mic is) to get it a wee bit better. Anyone else have the issue, is this just how the radio is?

When i plug my external mic in, it sounds just like my uv5rs.

Spending the amount of money that this radio cost, makes me feel like I may have a bad internal mic.
What did Yaesu say when you contacted them?

Status
Not open for further replies.