Yaesu: FT5D - Background Noise while transmitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

IK4SWW

Hi all,

I have a problem with my FT5DE when I use it in Digital Mode, while transmitting there is a fastidious background noise under my voice. The problem is not present on my old FT1XDE radio. I attached an audio recording of the comparison of FT5DE vs FT1XDE.

In our Radio Club we have got 5 FT5DE radios and the problem is present on 3 radios of 5. The problem is not present when using FM analogue mode.

Thanks

Attachments

• Z_Background_Noise_FT5DE_vs_FT1XDE.zip
    979.4 KB · Views: 24

K4EET

Chaplain
I’ve heard that noise before but before going further, we need a baseline. Please make a recording using the stock antenna, no accessories (case, spkr-mic, etc), minimum mic gain, and minimum power. Hold the HT 3 inches from your mouth and speak normally. If you find that the background noise is greatly reduced, what was the original configuration of the HT for the first recording? That recording was through a repeater on both radios?

IK4SWW

The radio, during the recording, was at minimum power (Low1=0.3 W) with mic gain at level 5 (default level). No accessories was used. Antenna was the original. I did some tests and moving the mic gain level but the ratio voice/noise remains the same. I mean, if you decrease the mic gain the noise decrease but also the voice, of course, decrease and viceversa if you increase the mic gain level. But the ratio voice/noise remains the same.

Regards
Massimo

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi Massimo @IK4SWW, do you have a Yaesu office in or around Bologna? If not, look on the Internet for the closest office with Customer Service. Squeals and digital type noise on transmit audio has apparently been a complaint of some FT5DR users. Since your signal to noise on your transmitted audio is tracking with mic gain as I suspected you were going to tell me, it is almost certainly being generated internally. You can also turn on your FT5DR’s recording function and capture the audio.

Alinco had this problem many years ago in their analog HTs that was synthesizer related. Not saying that is what this is but Yaesu needs to look into this noise a little closer. It may also require sending your HT back to Yaesu.

Best wishes to you on this issue. As you stated, you are not alone.

73, Dave K4EET

IK4SWW

Hi Dave thanks for your reply.

I noted this issue some days after the purchase of my FT5D; so my seller (it's a very serious seller located in Bologna) decided to replace my FT5D with a new one. The new radio that he gave me it was from a completely different production lot, but also this new radio has the same issue in subject. Besides me in my Radio Club others 5 people bought this radio, in different location, in different time. The result of my poll is that 3 of them have the same issue of mine on their radio.
We contacted by phone the Italian Yaesu Service Center but also them they told us that they don't know what to do.
Moreover I wrote two times at Yaesu support in Japan, also sending them the audio recording posted here, but for two times I haven't had any answer from them.

So I'm sure if Yaesu wants to solve this issue, they can easily find a FT5D near them with this issue, without me having to send them my radio and remain months without it.

73' Massimo

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi Dave thanks for your reply.
<snip>
You are certainly welcome.
<snip>
Moreover I wrote two times at Yaesu support in Japan, also sending them the audio recording posted here, but for two times I haven't had any answer from them.

So I'm sure if Yaesu wants to solve this issue, they can easily find a FT5D near them with this issue, without me having to send them my radio and remain months without it.

73' Massimo
Hi Massimo,

We have a saying in the States: “The squeaky wheel gets the grease.”

What that means is that you and you club members should not let this issue go unnoticed. Each club member should send a traceable letter to Yaesu - Japan. Also contact your equivalent of our American Radio Relay League (ARRL). Contact other clubs with Yaesu FT5DR users to see how many are affected. Etc. This noise is not normal!

As for sending your radio back, Yaesu should immediately in return send you a radio without the noise. Negotiate!

My best to you all on this issue. I have the Yaesu FT3DR. They are great radios as long as they work correctly.

73 my friend, Dave K4EET

Status
Not open for further replies.