FT60 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevolene

I have an FT60 Ive have for quite some time, been a good little HT till now, could be a battery issue but there are a few things its doing that could be something else, there lies the reason for my post. Seems the unit works just fine while plugged into wall charger, of course transmit is out of the question due to AC hum, also it isn't recommended anyway, once the batteries are charged however the unit will not power up, sometimes it takes a day, sometimes an hour before it mysteriously will come back on, will then transmit and receive for a limited time before either battery I have is drained. I have the original FNB64 and the batteries america FNB83X, , I was first concerned the charger I was currently using was incorrect, its the NC-72B from Vertex, I had done some trading around and this wasn't the charger that had came with radio, however I was assured this was the original charger for the FT60 Anyone else out there have or had this problem? Seems a new battery may solve the issue, However with HT's being as cheap as they are these days I don't want to drop 50 bucks on a battery when I could put another 50 with it and get a new HT, thoughts ??

k6cpo

The charger that was provided with my FT-60 is the NC-88B. I can find nothing that indicates the NC-72B charger is acceptable for the FT-60. I did find out that the NC-72B puts out 12 V at 500mA while the NC-88B is 12V at 200mA. You may have been over-charging your batteries.

There's a finite number of charges in a battery before it begins to die and it sounds like yours have reached that point. The deterioration may have been accelerated by the use of an improper charger.

I wouldn't toss the radio just because the batteries are shot. The FT-60 is a fine little radio and I doubt anything you can get for $100 is going to be as good.

Last edited:

stevolene

update , the NC72B wall wart was the original charger yaesu provided with the FT60, however taking your info into consideration I did buy a new Yaesu battery, and ordered a Yaesu NC88 wall charger. Not gonna charge the new battery with the 72, the old batteries were overcharged, and I have a suspicion they may have a few more charges left in them with the new 88B, I did however find the jack on the HT itself needs replaced, with a shimmy of the jack the radio powers up like a champ

Keith_W7KEW

The charger that was provided with my FT-60 is the NC-88B. I can find nothing that indicates the NC-72B charger is acceptable for the FT-60. I did find out that the NC-72B puts out 12 V at 500mA while the NC-88B is 12V at 200mA. You may have been over-charging your batteries.

There's a finite number of charges in a battery before it begins to die and it sounds like yours have reached that point. The deterioration may have been accelerated by the use of an improper charger.

I wouldn't toss the radio just because the batteries are shot. The FT-60 is a fine little radio and I doubt anything you can get for $100 is going to be as good.

The amperage available will not effect the charger. Only a lack of amps or too much voltage would negatively effect the battery and/or radio. You can hook up a radio requring 12V .5 amps to a 12V 20 amp power supply and it would have no effect on the radio or battery. The radio will only takes as many amps as it needs to charge the battery or power the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.