Yaesu: FT60Rs as a repeater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Yesterday I managed to inherit a small fleet of five Yaesu FT60Rs and I want to try configuring two of them to operate as a small portable repeater. Asking around (IRC and a private BBS) I was told all it takes is to connect a certain type of patch cable (no external controller or duplexer needed?) between the jacks on them then program either for the appropriate input and output frequencies, respectively, and the desired CTCSS or DCS tone.

This would be my first time setting up a repeater (learning experience).

Can this be done? How can it be done? Has anybody actually done it?

Last edited:

N4KVE

Even if you got it to work, how long do you think it would be before you fried the finals on the HT? They are designed for 5% tx, 5% rx, & 90% standby.

SCPD

QRT
So basically then the "no-controller-necessary" line is BS (which I figured it probably was be anyways, "if it seems too good to be true") and it won't work? You know, I thought the 60R had a V.O.X. thing (set the V.O.X. on the output rig then feed it audio from a scanner or another 60 monitoring the input) but looking through some documentation I found it doesn't appear to have that. Unless it's buried way deep in the configuration menu or somewhere.

Well, guess it's time to get to work looking for a controller device! Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.