• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FT7800 & FT8800 in an 2011 Endeavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB9WPC

Hi, I have a 2011 Mitsubishi Endeavor SE and have been looking for ideas on how to power the radios. I normally run a pair of Yeasu units, FT7800 & a FT8800, both via remote heads. I found a great connection off the battery but can't seem to find a way throu the firewall. Drilling is a last resort, so any suggestions?
I was also told that running either radio in the vehicle isn't a very good idea given the amount of air bags & side impact bags.
Thanks
Dave

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I hardly drill through a firewall anymore. Not only is a place hard to find but with all the padding and insulation you have to cut through just to get a drill bit in there is a pain.

Look carefully both under the dash and the engine side of the fire wall. Many things go through, like wire bundles, e-brake cable, steering column, etc. They will all have some type of rubber grommet sealing them as they go through. If you see one with reasonable access from both sides here's what you can do. I use a piece of stiff fish tape sharpened at one end (a coat hanger will do). Try poking it through the rubber grommet right next to whatever is passing through. Usually you can get it to come out on the other side. If it's a wire bundle, take care not to go kook-eyed and puncture a wire. If it goes through, great. Now tightly wrap the power wire to the fish with electrical tape. Now to make it easy, use a little lube. For me spraying the fish/power wire with simple green is all it takes (spit if you're desperate). Go to the engine side, grab the fish and pull the whole shebang through the grommet. Nice thing about this is it's self-sealing. No need to worry about water intrusion like when you hack at the rubber with a razor blade.

All vehicles these days have sensitive electronics beyond just airbags. Care in mounting the antenna and running the coax will mostly prevent any interaction. Good grounds are also important.

Status
Not open for further replies.