FT7900r scanning BEEP

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastrocks400

Hello all. When using the radio as a scanner, there is a loud beep when the radio picks up a new signal. Since I use the radio for police and fire scanning as well as for transmitting on amateur bands, this tends to be EXTREMELY annoying. If any of you have a solution, it would be great.

THANKS

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Rtfm

As was said above RTFM. These are not your typical Walmart bubble pack toy radios. One should always read the manual first, even before buying an amateur radio. The skills given to you while studying for the exam slhould lead one to want to know all about the radios you are going to use. It is not CB radio with plug and play. Although a lot of people want it to be plug and play, there is too much at stake. See a lot of postings when reading a manual would have found the problem a lot quicker! Makes one wonder if they are true licensed operators.

eastrocks400

The reason I asked you guys was because I called Yaesu and they said there was no way to turn it off..., but I figured you would know.

So, chill out and have some respect.

Thank you.

dwh367

Feed Provider
Hello all. When using the radio as a scanner, there is a loud beep when the radio picks up a new signal. Since I use the radio for police and fire scanning as well as for transmitting on amateur bands, this tends to be EXTREMELY annoying. If any of you have a solution, it would be great.

THANKS
kb0nly gave you the correct information. Go to Menu #5 [BEEP] and either change it to "off" or "key" instead of "key+sc". As was stated a couple of times before, the answer is in the manual. For future reference, each function has an explanation listed right next to it :roll:

Last edited:

elk2370bruce

Here we have a prime example of the difference between the definition of an amateur radio operator and an "appliance operator". With the complexity of even the more basic modern gear these days, reading the manual, studying the menus and learning the rig's capabilities are more important than just locating the PTT, SO 239, and channel selector and then hitting the pwr button. Not a show of disrespect by anyone here. Just a simple statement of fact. Literacy is, in fact, your friend and essential tool for learning to get the most out of our diverse hobby and the equipment that your hard earned money has bought.

Last edited:
K

kb0nly

The reason I asked you guys was because I called Yaesu and they said there was no way to turn it off..., but I figured you would know.

So, chill out and have some respect.

Thank you.
No disrespect meant! But it is all in the manual. I have two 7800's which are identical to the 7900 except they changed the control head design a bit. The manual has a quick reference list showing what every setting in the menu does.

I don't know why Yaesu would have said you can't, but its right there in the manual and it was the first thing i turned off on my 7800's as well. Then again you could have also talked to a customer rep who also isn't familiar with that model or read the manual.

Grab a cold beer, sit down in your easy chair, and read the manual! Even i have to do that on these newer models, sure i can get them working out of the box, but its nice to read the manual and know "everything" that little bugger i just bought can do!!

eastrocks400

Guys listen-- you don't understand the point and should maybe read my posts! Before looking in the manual I called Yaesu support. THEY TOLD ME IT COULD NOT BE DONE. At that point I decided to NOT look in the manual because the Tech guy TOLD ME NOT TO!

I figured you guys could help, and you did, but couldn't have been more rude.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Database Admin
Why waist your time on the phone when you had a manual first? I think that's ultimate point here.

From the Yaesu FT7800 Yahoo Group, Menu Shortcut File:

1 APO Selects the Automatic Power Off time Off/0.5h - 12.0H
2 AR BEP Selects the ARTS beep mode INRANG/ALWAYS/OFF
3 AR INT Selects the Polling Interval during ARTS operation 25sec/15sec
4 ARS Activates/deactivates the Automatic Repeater Shift feature ARS.ON/ARS.OFF (x)
5 BEEP Enables/disables the beeper Key/Key+SC/Off
6 CLK SFT Shifting of CPU clock frequency SFT.ON/SFT.OFF
7 CWID Enables/disables the CW identifier during ARTS operation TX ON/TX OFF
8 CW WRT Stores your callsign into the CW identifier --------
9 DCS COD Setting the DCS cod 104 DCS codes (023)
10 DCS N/R Selects "Normal" or "Inverted" DCS coding TRX N/RX R/TX R/TRX R
11 DIMMER Setting of the Display Brightness Dim 1/Dim 2/Dim3/Dim.Off
12 DT DLY Setting of the DTMF Autodialer Delay Time 50MS/100MS/250MS/450MS/ 750MS/1000MS
13 DT SPD Setting of the DTMF Autodialer Sending Speed 50MS/75MS/100MS
14 DT WRT Loading of the DTMF Autodialer Memories --------
15 EDG.BEP Enables/disables the Band-edge beeper when selecting the frequency by the DIAL knob Bep.On/Bep.Off
16 HM/REV Selects the alternate function of the [TONE(HM/RV)] key and primary function of the [VM(MW)] key REV/HOME
17 HYPER Enables/disables the Automatic Writing feather of the Hyper Memory Maunal/1-Auto/Auto
18 I NET Selects the Internet Connection mode INT.COD/INT.MEM
19 INT CD Selects the Access Number (DTMF digit) for WIRES operation Code 0-9/A/B/C/D/E/F (Code1)
20 INT MR Selects the Access Number (DTMF digit) for non-WIRES Internet Link System access d-1 - d16
21 LOCK Selects the Control Locking lockout combination LK KEY/LK DIAL/LK K+D/LK PTT/LK P+K/LK P+D/LK ALL/ LK OFF
22 MIC Selects the microphone type to be used MH-48/MH-42
23 NAME Toggle the display indication of the Memory/Home channel between "frequency" and the channel's "Alpha-numeric Tag" FREQ/ALPHA
24 NM WRT Stores Alpha-numeric "Tags" for the Memory/Home channels --------
25 PKT.MIC Enables/disables the microphone input during Packet operation Mic.On/Mic.Off
26 PKT.SPD Set's the transceiver's circuitry for the Packet baud rate to be used 1200bps/9600bps
27 PRG.PNL Programming the alternative (press and hold) function of the front panel's [Low(ACC)] key WX/REV/RPTR/SQ.OF/ LOCK/DIM
28 PRG P1(ACC) Programming the microphone's [P1]/[ACC] button assignment SQ.OF/TCAL/SSCH/ARTS/WX/ TN.FQ/DCSC/RPTR/PRI/ LOW(#31)/TONE(#30)/MHz/ REV/HOME/BAND(#28)/ V/M(#29)/SCAN
29 PRG P2(P) Programming the microphone's [P2]/[P] button assignment
30 PRG P3(P1) Programming the microphone's [P3]/[P1] button assignment
31 PRG P4(P2) Programming the microphone's [P4]/[P2] button assignment
32 RF SQL Adjust the RF SQL threshold level OFF/S-2 - 9/S-FULL
33 RPT.MOD Sets the Repeater Shift Direction RPT.OFF/PRT.-/PRT.+ (x)
34 RPT.RVT Enables/disables the Priority Revert feature RVT.ON/RVT.OFF
35 RX MOD Selects the Receiving mode Auto/FM/AM
36 S SRCH Selects the Smart Sweep mode Single/Cont
37 SCAN Selects the Scan-Resume mode Time/Busy/Hold
38 SCN MD Selects the Memory Scan channel-selection mode Mem/Only
39 SHIFT Sets the magnitude of the Repeater Shift 0.00 - 99.95 MHz (x)
40 SKIP Selects what action will happen on "flagged" Memory Channel Off/Skip/Only
41 SPLIT Enables/disables split CTCSS/DCS coding SPL.OFF/SPL.ON
42 SQL.TYP Selects the Tone Encoder and/or Decoder mode Off/ENC/ENCDEC/REV TN/DCS
43 STEP Sets the Synthesizer steps AUTO/5.0k/10.0k/12.5k/15.0k/ 20.0k/25.0k/50K/100k
44 TN FRQ Sets the CTCSS Tone Frequency 50 CTCSS Tones (100Hz)
45 TOT Sets the Time-Out Timer 1-30 minutes or Off (6 minutes)
46 VFO.BND Selects or disables the VFO band edge limiting for the current band BND.ON/BND.OFF
47 WID.NAR Reducing the MIC Gain (and Deviation) Wide/Narrow
48 WX ALT Enables/disables the Weather Alert Scan ALT.ON/ALT.OFF

eastrocks400

It's not wasting time on the phone, in fact it took 5 minutes, where as I did not have manual with me?

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Database Admin
Then as kb0nly said, sit down, grab a cold one and prop the easy chair up and rtfm before you operate. Not dogging you here, but when you ask an easy question, expect these answers you don't enjoy. After reading through my 7900's manual, it was a breeze to pick up a new Yaesu HT and roll through its menu before reading the manual (though I went back and read it afterwards).

K

kb0nly

Guys listen-- you don't understand the point and should maybe read my posts! Before looking in the manual I called Yaesu support. THEY TOLD ME IT COULD NOT BE DONE. At that point I decided to NOT look in the manual because the Tech guy TOLD ME NOT TO!

I figured you guys could help, and you did, but couldn't have been more rude.
I don't really see any rude answers... Guess i'm more open minded??

Anyway, as i mentioned, the guys and gals that answer the phones have always treated me right at Yaesu, but some of them are not familiar with every model. They should have looked up the answer for you, they usually have the pdf of each manual on the computer in front of them. Perhaps they didn't understand your question also, who knows.

Moral of the story as mentioned is just take it upon yourself to read the manual.

canav844

There's a reason the "nifty" manuals sell so well right? The Yaesu manual isn't what I'd call well written, I actually enjoy reading manuals on bits of technology that interest me, and most of the time reading that manual would allow me to operate most items to their fullest extent on first contact, the Yaesu manual was all but useless read before I actually got the radio, installed it and had the manual sitting right next to the working radio. So I can easily see where the OP could have even checked the manual and missed the one line of information in the book making the beating of the dead horse on RTFM seem like humans that make an error or two in their life are no longer allowed to be HAMs.

What I wish they'd do is make it so their beep would adjust in relation to the volume (like my Icom F21), I actually like the feed back from it but I don't need it to be ear bleeding loud, so instead I do without and figure if that's the biggest complaint about my 7800 then life ain't all that bad.

K

kb0nly

I don't think the manuals are too bad, some are far worse...

The FT-7900 manual page 23 there is a half page writeup on turning the beep on and off, and it also explains what each function setting is... I downloaded the PDF and paged through and found it in less than a minute. So it wasn't hard to find.

Also if you go to page 68 you see the menu chart... Thats the first thing i look for when setting up a new radio, flip to that page and check the list for settings.

Pages 70-77 explains every menu item in detail also.

I too wish the beep level was adjustable seperate of the volume control but its not. Perhaps its in a service manual. On some of the older models there was a trimmer inside that adjusted how far below the volume setting that the beep was, so the beep followed the volume and ambient noise conditions but was always a set level below the actual audio volume.

I wonder if there is any hidden service menu on the 7800 like there is on the 8800, i will have to investigate that!

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Database Admin
I wonder if there is any hidden service menu on the 7800 like there is on the 8800, i will have to investigate that!
Linked here you will find the Yaesu FT-7800 Technical Supplement pdf. It's a little more "schematic-ey" than the Operating Manual, and might provide some answers.

eastrocks400

Ok you guys dont get the point! I didn't have manual with me, but had phone! Called yaesu, said DONT BOTHER CHECKING MANUAL, IT CAN'T BE DONE! So why should I do that?

If you find it aggravating to answer my questions, SIMPLY DON'T DO IT.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Database Admin
I think you're the one finding it aggravating, having to come back and re-explain yourself. We get it. You didn't have the manual at the time, didn't have computer access, and had a cell phone signal. So you called Yaesu-we got all that. We're just saying don't let a customer service rep (and likely not a radio operator) on the other end of the phone, make you look dumb by not checking his answer (I guess, you were coming here to check your answer though).

But if he told you it couldn't be done, why ask on the internet- he said it couldn't be done. What made you question him enough to ask on RR but not in your manual/Google/yahoo/Yaesu.com?

This thread should be closed soon...

eastrocks400

Because I have seen many a time where you guys, here on RR, have both solved many peoples' problems and some of mine myself when a manual or tech guy couldn't.

So kudos to you guys in general, just maybe shouldn't be so harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.