Kenwood: FT8 on Kenwood TS-440S

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
So a question, and maybe it is just because I am a noob with FT8. So with my TS-440s, I can run SSB, and the mic gain at 4, and work just fine at 100 watts, but for some reason, when it comes to running FT8, I have to max out the mic gain, and TX knob on the Signalink USB, and best I can get is 50 watts. I know FT8 is a low signal mode, and you want to use low power, but it would be nice to work those hard to reach stations, and have that extra power for a very brief period. Another thing I notice, is I have no ALC action at all, and I was told you want just a very small amount of ALC. The radio is set up for CAT control, and works fine that way, but is there any reason I can hit 100 watts on SSB and CW, but only half the power on FT8 with everything maxed out? Thanks in advance.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Sounds like the Signalink isn't generating enough transmit audio to drive the radio.

How is the Signalink connected to the radio?

Have you checked with Tigertronics about this? They may have a solution in their documentation. Or, you may need to call them and ask for assistance.

Engine104

Member since 2005
I'm not sure if there is an issue with the Signalink. I have one for my TS-140 and it works fine. I assume you set the jumper wires correctly for a Kenwood? In any case, I don't think you need more than 50w for FT8 or any of the digital modes.

KD6FOV

So a question, and maybe it is just because I am a noob with FT8. So with my TS-440s, I can run SSB, and the mic gain at 4, and work just fine at 100 watts, but for some reason, when it comes to running FT8, I have to max out the mic gain, and TX knob on the Signalink USB, and best I can get is 50 watts. I know FT8 is a low signal mode, and you want to use low power, but it would be nice to work those hard to reach stations, and have that extra power for a very brief period. Another thing I notice, is I have no ALC action at all, and I was told you want just a very small amount of ALC. The radio is set up for CAT control, and works fine that way, but is there any reason I can hit 100 watts on SSB and CW, but only half the power on FT8 with everything maxed out? Thanks in advance.
Did you get a response? Today, I'm finally trying to get my TS-440s to work FT8. What USB baud rate did you use?

KD6FOV

Yes I did. Baud rate of 4800 is required.
Thanks. I've purchased from Jahnke Electronics, the #Kenwood TS-440S IC-10 Chips and a DIN-FTDI-USB cable.
Attempting to configure the #WSJT-X software (2.6.1) for my #macOS (12.6.3) machine.
/dev/tty.usbserial-AG7ZJSOI
computer:dev guest$ ls -la /dev/tty.usb*
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0x22000004 May 19 15:11 /dev/tty.usbserial-AG7ZJSOI

The software instructions indicate to set the baud rate for 4800, and select Default settings.
I continue to get communication time-out errors, when I select Test CAT.

An Elmer has suggested that I need to also set the baud rate for my USB interface.
Doesn't the #WSJT-X software take care of that?

--Scott KD6FOV

Engine104

Member since 2005
Hi Scott,
I could be wrong, but I know I needed to buy a SignalLink USB interface to run any digital modes on my Kenwood TS-140. Perhaps you don't need that for a TS-440? In any case once I set the jumpers in the SignalLink for a Kenwood, it runs great. https://www.tigertronics.com/
-Larry KG6EJT

KD6FOV

Hi Scott,
I could be wrong, but I know I needed to buy a SignalLink USB interface to run any digital modes on my Kenwood TS-140. Perhaps you don't need that for a TS-440? In any case once I set the jumpers in the SignalLink for a Kenwood, it runs great. https://www.tigertronics.com/
-Larry KG6EJT
Thanks for the response. Seems really difficult to get participation for this configuration.
I have a USB audio interface that appears to be working for RX, using the radio AFSK ports, and decodes info to the WSJT-X software interface.
Jahnkee Electronics claim is that the IC-10 chips and the DIN-FTDI-USB cable is all that’s needed for CAT Control.
I‘m not ready to guit yet, but ultimately the Signal link may be the solution… perhaps I’ll borrow one, but likely will need a different cable too.

How about the USB baud rate on the Mac side? Doesn’t WSJT-X take care of that, or do I also need to make a change using terminal or a setting in preferences?

Engine104

Member since 2005
I can't speak to CAT control as I've never tried that on my TS-140.

I've had no issues with the SignalLink USB. Works great for both TX and Receive. You can find some used ones on eBay or check HRO in Anaheim. You can also order new from Tigertronics, which is what I did. I've had mine for probably 10 years now.