FT8800R Control Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
As some of you are aware the buttons on the control head on the FT8800 do not light up same thing with the 8900, this is one thing I do not like about the radio. Other then that it is a great radio. There was a mod posted where a guy installed LED's in his, but my soldering skills are not that great and I really don't feel like butchering up a control head being that it is impossible to find a replacement, so I came up with a cheap idea.

Today I was at the dollar store in one of the local strip malls, and they had some mini neon lights that plug into your lighter plug and they were a dollar a piece so I picked up one and thought hey this would be great to mount above the control head to shine some light onto the buttons. I'm going to share a few pics of what I want to do. I'm probably going to pick up a second one. I intend to hard wire these in with a switch.

Let me know what you all think and if you have any thoughts or opinions you would like to voice, but please lets keep this civil.

Attachments

• 88001.JPG
    88001.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 317
  • 88002.JPG
    88002.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 282
  • 88003.JPG
    88003.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 285
  • neon.JPG
    neon.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 323

N5DRM

Premium Subscriber
I think it's a great idea. I've been wanting to do the same thing in my mobile for the 7900 rig. We have several dollar stores here in central Arkansas; Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree to name a few. Which store did you find these in? Good luck with lights and I'll be interested to see what you end up doing. Keep me posted and thanks.
David

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I think it's a great idea. I've been wanting to do the same thing in my mobile for the 7900 rig. We have several dollar stores here in central Arkansas; Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree to name a few. Which store did you find these in? Good luck with lights and I'll be interested to see what you end up doing. Keep me posted and thanks.
David

Dave, I pick up the light from "just a buck". The one I went to had these lights in a few different colors, Red, Yellow, Blue, and Green. I went with Yellow so it would match the display on the the control head. Auto Zone and Advanced Auto also sell these lights but I think they sell them for around 16-20 dollars.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I bought some LED "chart lights" at a marine supply store to light up my dim stack in the work truck. I don't remember what I paid but I'm sure "through the nose". Great find and great idea!

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I'm off from work tomorrow so I'll probably put the one I bought yesterday in. I just have to dig up some switches I have laying around.

Status
Not open for further replies.