FT8800R Packet Port As A Discriminator Tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Hey Gents,

As a railfan, I enjoy getting to monitor ATCS, which is a data protocol used by the railroads for various control functions. Due to so, all you need is the unfiltered audio to input into your computer. I own a FT-8800R which has the built in 9600 baud packet port.

I was hoping if there was anyone who would be able to guide me in how to make the port and cable work to provide that unfiltered auto into the computer.

It would basically just be working as a discriminator tap.

Thanks gents,
Matt W2MJR

nd5y

I have a FT-7800R and tried using the packet/data jack for Unitrunker and other stuff. The 8800 probably uses the same circuitry for that but I don't know that for a fact. It may not work for you because it appears that the receive audio on the packet/data connector is not really pure unfiltered discriminator audio. See this thread: http://forums.radioreference.com/trunking-control-channel-decoding/283335-unitrunker-ft7800.html

You may be wasting your time but if you want to try it anyway all you need a is cable that has a mini-DIN connector on one end and whatever kind of stereo plug your PC sound device has on the other end. Old mice and keyboards are a good source for a cable and connector. The users manual should have the pinout for the connector. It probably has pins for 1200 and 9600 baud receive audio. The receive audio on the connector is a fixed level so the radio's volume control doesn't change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.