Yaesu: FTM-300DR Audio Output?

VE3XYU

New ham here, with my first radio. I'm trying to use this as both a mobile and a base station.
The 3.5mm audio outputs of the FTM-300 appear to be intended to drive a passive speaker, which I will buy to put in the car.
But at home, I'd like to be able to use headphones, or listen through my PC. I'm fairly certain that I can't plug headphones in directly, nor could I plug the speaker output into a mixer or PC audio input. I have the SCU-58 cable kit which has audio in and out via the (10?) pin jack. But even while using Wires-X, all sound comes out of the radio's built-in speaker.
I have been reading all dozen of the manuals and not getting anywhere.
I would appreciate anyone who may be able to point me in the right direction.
Thank you

k6cpo

I've plugged headphones directly into Yaesu radios from the FT-7900 up through the FTM-500. Just make sure you plug into the "A" jack on the back of the radio.

mr10pt

Premium Subscriber
I have the FTM300 and as k6cpo stated, use the "A" speaker jack. Just tried it and both A&B bands can be heard through the headphones.

k6cpo

Both bands were heard in the left side only. I opened the squelch for the test.
Most headsets today have stereo plugs on them (TRS.) If you want to hear both sides in both ears, you're going to have to either buy or make a stereo to mono adapter.

VE3XYU

I've plugged headphones directly into Yaesu radios from the FT-7900 up through the FTM-500. Just make sure you plug into the "A" jack on the back of the radio.
Thank you...it's just strange that there is no mention of this in the manuals.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Thank you...it's just strange that there is no mention of this in the manuals.
Could it be that these are mobile units first and some states do not allow wearing head phones while driving. Not sure of the distracted driving laws in Ontario, but I won't be driving wearing head phones.

k6cpo

Could it be that these are mobile units first and some states do not allow wearing head phones while driving. Not sure of the distracted driving laws in Ontario, but I won't be driving wearing head phones.
Each state is different when it comes to laws regarding the wearing of headphones while driving. In California, it's permissible to wear a headphone in one ear only, leaving the other to hear the sounds of traffic.

I found out it's possible to plug headphones into mobile radios by experimentation. I was looking for a solution to be able to use a headset with a boom microphone during VHF/UHF nets to be able to have my hands free to log contacts. I was able to find ready-made adapters from Heil Ham Radio and paired these with one of their headsets for a viable solution. It worked so well, I built a box to allow me to easily switch between the hand mic/external speaker combination to the headset/foot switch setup. I've been using this setup for almost seven years now.

VE3XYU

I think you may be onto something. Headphones are certainly not allowed to be worn while driving in Ontario.

But the fact that you can connect the radio to a computer via the SCU-58 kit and browse Wires-X rooms, or operate a cross-band repeater...sort of implies uses for the radio outside of while in motion in a car.

Anyhow, thank you, I appreciate your response.