Yaesu: FTM-400/100 firmware update for PDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Have not tried either yet. Still waiting for the cable for the FT2. May update Wires-X and FTM-400 this weekend. Not a huge deal since I run a node with an HRI-200 anyway.

Stretchman

Received an FTM-400XDR last Thursday. I had to update the firmware, as I was having an issue with the PDN mode not working a advertised. I also had an issue with backing up the software to the Yaesu software, due to a malformed aprs string, and that was corrected by resetting the aprs. Of course, I had to reprogram the radio after applying the firmware, as the radio needed to be reset.

I managed to get it up and working on Tuesday. The communications through the node is very clear, and works as advertised. Most of the traffic that you will encounter is on channels like America's Link, which is both digital and analog. Because of this, it cannot be accessed with PDN mode. You will need to use HRI mode in order to connect to a room like that, and you should do your best to ensure that you do not step on analog stations. I am able to hear stations through my PC speaker when they come on, but I do not think they can hear me without the SCU 40 kit, which is on back order right now.

PDN mode IMO, is actually better though, because you can also hear the sub band of the radio, although, you cannot switch to it. PDN mode is digital only. I have yet to actually use the radio in access point mode, but will probably be able to test it this coming weekend. Access point mode is digital only for stations that connect to the AP.

The radio itself gets excellent signal reports. It also has features like APRS, but no built in tnc. I haven't tested the radio yet in X band repeat, but it is my understanding that it will work as a cross band repeater.

Be prepared when setting it up to do a couple of things. You will need a jack in the Mic port of your sound card when setting it up with the SCU 20, and you also need to check your privacy settings in order for it to work with the radio, as the radio is treated as a microphone and speaker input, even though it is going through a USB port.

All tolled, the radio is an outstanding value for the capabilities of it, and it's a lot easier to program than a DMR radio if you haven't got access to a ready made code plug. I had a digital QSO on the local repeater within an hour of receiving the radio, and the signal quality is outstanding. For those who aren't looking to make long distance contacts, but still want to get their feet wet in the digital modes, Fusion is a great way to do it. It's as simple as using any analog radio, and only requires you to input your callsign and a frequency pair to be up and running. Because the radio I was QSOing with had GPS enabled, I was able to watch the distance between stations as he mobiled away from me. Digital Fusion radios are around starting at under 200 dollars, and for the voice quality, are an outstanding alternative to the CCR radios that are out there. The FTM 400 also gets great audio and signal reports in analog mode, and is a pretty good value for a true dual band dual receive radio without factoring in the digital capabilities.

All in all I am pretty happy with it.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I had to update the firmware, as I was having an issue with the PDN mode not working a advertised. I also had an issue with backing up the software to the Yaesu software, due to a malformed aprs string, and that was corrected by resetting the aprs. Of course, I had to reprogram the radio after applying the firmware, as the radio needed to be reset.
I updated both of my 400's last night and I fortunately did not have any issues. One is a DR and the other XDR. Once the firmware and DSP were updated, I put in the MicroSD card and re-programmed each radio instantly. I do not use the Yaesu software. I use RTSystems.

I have no idea why I waited several weeks to do this, as well as register each respective radio ID with a Wires-X account. I should have my assigned Wires-X ID by Thursday or Friday.

I have been using my FT2DR and my experience is the same as you with America Link and other non digital only nodes/rooms. I have a feeling digital only nodes/rooms will increase in popularity as we enjoy the audio quality C4FM provides.

prcguy

I just ordered a 400 but the store I ordered from has a backlog of about 200 units. I didn't know they were so popular. I downloaded Yaesu programming software for the FT2DR but couldn't get it working in the few minutes I spent with it. Hope the 400 software works.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I just ordered a 400 but the store I ordered from has a backlog of about 200 units. I didn't know they were so popular. I downloaded Yaesu programming software for the FT2DR but couldn't get it working in the few minutes I spent with it. Hope the 400 software works.
The recent firmware updates making these select three radios able to get into Wires-X with just some cabling is probably the reason. I do not recall ever seeing the major amateur radio stores being out of stock on those in the past, att least with the 400 and FT2DR.

I installed and opened that Yaesu software once. After a brief look around I uninstalled it and spent the $25 for RTSystems download.

As of today, my vehicle now has WiFi 24/7 and a Windows tablet making it easy to access Wires-X nodes/rooms from the mobile screen. These recent firmware updates/upgrades Yaesu released are a definite boost for the future of their C4FM fusion mode.

KE0GXN

I am on MTC’s waiting list. I just hope there is enough shipped, no telling where I am on the pecking order once they do come in.

Tried sending a message to the Yaesu rep on FB with no answer so far on when they expect to ship out any 400s to the vendors...apparently they are being tight lipped.

prcguy

HRO quoted about 30 days out to fill my order.

I am on MTC’s waiting list. I just hope there is enough shipped, no telling where I am on the pecking order once they do come in.

Tried sending a message to the Yaesu rep on FB with no answer so far on when they expect to ship out any 400s to the vendors...apparently they are being tight lipped.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I downloaded Yaesu programming software for the FT2DR but couldn't get it working in the few minutes I spent with it. Hope the 400 software works.
I can confirm that the RT Systems USB-68 cable will program the FT2DR; it will allow it to connect the FT2DR to Wires-X as well. That cable is only $30 versus the Yaesu SCU-19 $80 cable.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Can you use the Yaesu programming software with the RT cable?
I do not see why not, but I have not tested. That generic USB $0.10 cable that comes with the FT2DR is not for programming, only firmware updating. I only know of the Yaesu SCU-19 and RT Systems USB-68 cable that can actually program that radio. ( That cable can also be used to program an FT1DR )

Status
Not open for further replies.