FTM-400 install in my 2012 Dodge RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3LUD

Here is an install of the new Yaesu FTM-400D in my 2012 Dodge RAM pickup.

I did not want to use any suction cup mounts so I built a custom mount using the provided bracket that came with the radio. The mount holds the radio as well as my GPS I use for navigation.

Attached are two pictures, day and night and also what the mount looks like from behind.

John, N3LUD

Attachments

• FTM-400_Install_at_night.jpg
    FTM-400_Install_at_night.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 4,612
  • FTM-400Day-2.jpg
    FTM-400Day-2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 11,679
  • FTM-400-Back.jpg
    FTM-400-Back.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 3,978
Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Here is an install of the new Yaesu FTM-400D in my 2012 Dodge RAM pickup.

I did not want to use any suction cup mounts so I built a custom mount using the provided bracket that came with the radio. The mount holds the radio as well as my GPS I use for navigation.

Attached are two pictures, day and night and also what the mount looks like from behind.

John, N3LUD

Looks nice!!! What holds it securely to the dash to keep it from moving around or becoming airborne? Does the tray click into the dash?

russellmaher

KC1ANC
That's a good looking setup John, but I too hope that it mounts securely to the dash. If not, then it could become an airborne missle.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Russell

N3LUD

Custom Mount

Yes it is securely mounted in place. This is why I moved away from using suction cup mounts in my truck.

The tray it held to the dash with two screws. There is a 1x2 piece of wood held into the tray from below with two additional screws (from the bottom of the tray). I made the mount out of oak which is screwed to the piece of wood in the tray. and the metal bracket is also held in place with screws.

The best part is I used existing holes in the tray and did not need to drill anything special. So I can put it back to factory look pretty easily.

To hide the sides of the tray I used a couple of scrap pieces of speaker carpet.

I will eventually post a YouTube video of the install.

John, N3LUD

N3LUD

View and ABS

My view through the windshield is great. I am over 6 ft. tall and see perfectly fine. The GPS I had mounted on the suction cup to the windshield and that would get in the way.

As far as the ABS, I think that is a great idea. I wanted to do that originally but already had the wood on hand and was getting anxious to get the radio in the truck. I am thinking the wood is going to be a prototype and the plastic is how I will do the final install. So far it is working out great. The only complaint I have is the thickness of the metal bracket that came with the Yaesu. I really wish it was thicker because there is a slight bounce when going over pop holes, etc. Otherwise I am glad I went this route.

I am also thinking of replacing the stock stereo with a kenwood when the weather warms up here on the east coast.

Thanks for the comments..

Thanks,
John, N3LUD

Status
Not open for further replies.