Yaesu: FTM-400DX is frozen on startup screen

TacoExplorer

Hello, First post, new ham here (passed technician test on Jan 7).

I have a Yaesu FTM-400DX bought on December 26, 2022. Today it started to behave erratically basically rebooting itslef constantly. Up for a few seconds, then reboot, and so on. Rest to factory, without helping the problem. Now it is stuck on the reboot screen that says "Yaesu" and my call sign. Cycling power does nothing, comes back to the same screen. What do I do? Is there a hardware reset? Return to store? Warranty return to manufacturer? Any advice is greatly apprecaited. Thank you all.

prcguy

Maybe wait until spring when it thaws out?

I've never seen that in mine but try completely removing power at the battery for at least 10 sec then reconnect and test. Since its rebooting and erratic I would also check the control head cable at both ends.

TacoExplorer

I am using a 6 gauge wire drawn from the battery through a Bussmann 150A breaker into the main compartment to a Bussmann fuse block where the radio's wires connects to it. The fuse block negative is connected to the chassis.

I took the radio out of the truck and to my work bench where a power supply delivers 13.8V. The radio draws 135 mA and is still stuck on the splash screen.

Is there a way to do a hardware reset?

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Is there a way to do a hardware reset?

OK, so that was what I was hoping. Properly wired in the vehicle.
Bench testing is a good step.
Far too many to half azzed installs and then wonder why the radio acts up. That's not your case.

No idea about a reset, but usually leaving them unplugged for a while would do the trick.
If it's a new radio and hosed up like that, I'd send it back and get it replaced. It might be memory failure. If it did it once, it would do it again, and I'd probably not trust it.

prcguy

Here is a suggestion from a guy at Yaesu for your same problem. If this doesn't work it may have to go home to mama and get repaired.

John Kruk
Do you recently use it in WiRES-X or PDN mode? If so try to power it off and do the combination of buttons to power it back on for normal mode.
also do you have a SD card in the radio? If so remove it and try powering it back on agai

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
My first guess is the SD card is corrupted. Pull it and try a restart.

Talking to some other owners indicates that some lock up with no resolution and were sent back to Yaesu. Some were relatively new and others had been in use for a couple of years.

Is this on FM analog or were you on Wires when it locked?

TacoExplorer

Yes, I was on Wires when it rebooted and locked up.

The SD card is probably not related; I have pulled it out and that made no difference.

TacoExplorer

OK I tried again after I came home from work; the unit was not powered for a good 18 hours. Still the same. Sending it back to Yaesu. HRO has a 10 day return policy which seems oddly short so that's no go for me.

Will update with developments. Thank you all.

Last edited:

jtornblad

Premium Subscriber
Hi just thought I'd chime in on my experience... had an FTM-400XDR I got about 3 years ago, running fine until recently when it locked up on the logo / boot screen *** with my callsign on the screen *** (not the "WIRES-X" subtitle, I think that's a different "problem"). No amount of fiddling "from the outside" changed that: removed power, removed the SD card, tried various dubious voodoo keypress combos on startup etc. I was finally resolved to hassle with sending my out-of-warranty FTM-400 back to repair. Seriously considered "upgrading" to the FTM-500 but I just love the 400 too much: the bigger screen, normal sized knobs for mobile use (lol, I know some love it some hate it but it wasn't for me).

After a brief email exchange describing the problem with their customer service (just google up "Yaesu Repair Cypress"), they advised to send it to them. *** ONE WEEK *** later it was returned (your mileage may vary) working like new (it was wiped, but an easy 2 minute restore from my programming software). No bill or paperwork in the box! I emailed them back to ask and they said, "no charge, you're good".

Rank speculation on my part but perhaps there is just a software glitch that really gets this thing locked up good with no factory reset at the *exterior* interfaces (buttons, knobs). Assuming that's the case, and rare enough that Yaesu doesn't mind doing the needful back at HQ as long as you're willing to foot the postage to them (they paid for returning it!). I gotta say, for all of us who love our FTM-400s, the one week of downtime was no big deal. Kudos to Yaesu repair for the impressive turn-around time and ease of working with them. I know this model is not sold anymore but gosh this has been a rock solid and fun to use radio and here's to another 3 years or more of use in my rig.