Yaesu: FTM-400XDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

greekouzo2002

Anyone have any issues with the radio overheating causing the UHF portion of the radio to be null and void only transmitting and receiving intermittently? Radio was purchsed brand new three weeks ago from a well known dealer.

Calling Yaseu today to try and see what can be done,. Love the rig as it took place of a Kenwood dual band in the truck.

N1YLJ

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Have had 0 problems with radio. Have had problems with my home made mic extension but only when doesn't make tight contact. Have had radio for 2 years without a hitch!

GROCKSHD

Premium Subscriber
I've had no issues with this radio whatsoever. It's installed in my Jeep Wrangler and used multiple times daily. Where do you have the unit mounted in your truck? Could it be a air ventilation issue?

greekouzo2002

Mounted in a center console box with plenty of ventilation. Was never an issue with the Kenwood TMV71A. Just stopped transmitting and receiving on UHF. Now it's on the bench and better but not 100%. Seems id something is not allowing to provide the proper rx and tx on UHF.

Radio is not that old (purchased 12/23).

mrweather

Haven't experienced that issue with my 2 week-old 400XDR.

But I have noticed since I mounted it in my car an S2-S3 white noise appears across all frequencies about 5 minutes after starting the car and turning the radio on. This noise lasts for another 5 minutes than disappears. I'm a little perplexed as none of previous mobile radios (FT-8900, FTM-100DR, TM-V71A, TK-790/890) exhibited this. It worked fine in the shack (constant 72F) which makes me wonder if it's a temperature issue.

May have to go back to the candy store for a replacement...

macgyver66

White Noise

I'm a newbie to amateur radio and recently purchased the FTM-400XDR. I am having the exact same issue in my vehicle as mrweather commented on his his previous post. I get white noise across the active band I am on (top or bottom) as well as any station I switch to and it lasts for anywhere from one to five minutes. it doesn't do it every time I'm in my vehicle and, like mrweather, it seems to be affected by the temperature and does it more when its cold and damp. I can make the white noise come and go by wiggling either the microphone cable or the separation cable where they plug into the main radio body, but once the noise has stopped I cant do anything to make it come back. I've moved the radio around to several different locations in the vehicle and it doesn't seem to affect the problem. I can take the radio inside the shack and it never gives any problem. I'm new to this site as well, so I'm not sure how all this works, but if mrweather or anyone else has found a solution to this I'd be grateful for some input. Btw I love the radio as well. The white noise is annoying though to say the least. My 3200 and FT-90r don't give any problems in the vehicle.

mrweather

Glad to hear someone else has experienced the problem. Now with the cold weather returning so does the white noise on my 400XDR. I know it's something internal to the radio because with the antenna disconnected and running off battery (so no vehicle RFI) the noise persists.

I've gotten used to it and using tone encode gets rid of the noise. But it sometimes overrides weaker, legitimate signals, which is annoying.

k6cpo

Zero issues with my FTM-400XDR...

I was a bit concerned with the control head getting too hot when it was mounted on top of the dash, but I've moved it down where it's right in front of the AC vent.

macgyver66

Don’t get it to “cool”, you might start getting white noise too! Lol! I’m goint to contact tech support at yaesu with some videos of The white noise. If I find any answers I’ll be sure to post them here. Thanks for the replies!

mrweather

Zero issues with my FTM-400XDR...
The noise seems to appear when ambient temps are around 32F. Not so sure you'd see that in San Diego. :)

The noise does go away after a while, presumably because the radio has warmed up.

macgyver66

That is verbatim what mine is doing. I even brought it inside the shack from 32 degrees and it did it until it warmed up to room temp. It’s almost like a loose solder joint.

turkeyxx

Premium Subscriber
I had my 400 today crossbanding on low power, and it stopped. I took it out of crossband mode, and now for some reason I cannot receive on both bands at the same time. I can transmit on band B, and receive on band A, and vice versa. I cannot receive on the band I am transmitting on. I have tried to factory reset the radio twice and it still does the same thing. Does any one have any idea what could be wrong? Thanks

macgyver66

I never tried crossband repeat on mine. First thoughts are that it sounds like it’s somehow still in that mode. But in reference to the strange “white noise”, after seeing the videos I sent, the tech rep at yaesu agreed that the problem looked like a cold solder joint somewhere on the board housing the plugs for the mic and separation cable. They have had the radio about two weeks so I should be hearing from them soon. I’ll be sure to post an update when I do. They are very good about working with you if you have a problem.

macgyver66

Finally heard back from Yaesu on the “white noise” issue. It took them about four weeks after receiving it to nail down the problem to what they called an intermittent issue with the DSP board. At least they will be a little more familiar with the problem if anyone else has it. Should be getting it back soon. Hope this helps someone.

macgyver66

Well after having the 400 back for less than a week the problem with the white noise reared its ugly head again. I promptly contacted them. They paid for return shipping and kept it for another couple weeks with the head of their amateur repair taking charge. Finally after replacing the complete main board hopefully they have fixed it. Frustrating....

Status
Not open for further replies.